Plugin Contributions

Default Do not pass Go... lol

My husband and I have been selling successfully on a certain online auction site for 2 years, but this auction site's fees are becoming more than we can handle. They are increasing their store fees next month, and since we have anywhere from 200 to 300 items in that store at any given time, and half our sales are from there, this one is going to hurt. Alot.

We've been talking about setting up an online store away from said auction site for quite some time, now with the new fee increase coming up, this is the time to do so. So I researched and researched, and kept coming back to Zen Cart as the cart system that would best fit our needs.

And now, I'm so totally lost. I purchased a new web domain through JSWeb; I found them via a link on Zen Cart's site. I think I purchased something else too; I have no idea. All I know is that it cost us about $40.00. (That may have been a mistake.)

I'm using a little bitty old purple iMac with OSX 10.2 on it. (Yes, I just heard you say "Yikes!") I don't even know what "PHP" is; I Googled a decription and kinda got it, but not quite. I tried downloading the Apache thingy someone mentioned somewhere, but read it was full of security issues for OSX 10.2. So no go there. I don't even know where to download the Zen Cart from.

I am very willing and able to learn, but my eyes just start crossing when I read through a lot of this stuff here. I'm a "hands on" type person; if I work with it, I can learn it. And no, we can't afford to have someone set it up for us. (Don't I just wish...) If I could just find the place to start, I could work my way through it, but as I said, I'm lost and I can't find where to start.

If someone would please point me to "Go" I would so appreciate it. Once I find it, Park Place is mine! (Eventually...)

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Do not pass Go... lol

I'm assuming you don't know alot about how the internet and servers work from what you have written.

No need to download apache or worry to much about php as it sounds like you paid jsWEB for a hosting account and as they advertise free zencart setup then email them about getting zencart setup on your site.

They also have zencart guides on their site you should check out.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for replying Nitro.

You are right; I know nothing about how the internet and servers work.

You know, I thought that JSWeb was supposed to do more for me; the problem there is that I can't log in. I have already asked them about it, and they were nice enough to fix the log-in problem on the Zen Cart url, but I still can't log into JSWeb to get to their help sections.

I guess I'll fire off another email; I at least know how to do that!

Thanks again,
    mrsmoondog

Plugin Contributions

In case it makes you feel any better I started out not knowing the slightest thing about programming (and I still know nothing but my shopping cart works!)

It is possible to learn how to install just by reading the forums (clearly you've got that bit sussed!) and contributions (check out the above "downloads" section to upgrade your site - with these you can make the already brilliant Zen Cart run about and do tricks!)

Good luck with your new venture - and don't forget to continue to use said Auction site for publicity purposes.

Bryony

Plugin Contributions

Thank you Bryony; I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with these problems, and glad to hear your site is up and running! I'll give the downloads section a good going-over.

As for advertising on that auction site, well, they kinda frown on advertising other selling sites on their site. So it's a bit tricky...

Thanks again!
    mrsmoondog

Plugin Contributions

Hun I have helped numerous people and I have watched numerous people grow just by doing exactly what you have done here - post to the forums, ask questions, and read - you're gonna be fine :)

I just wanted to welcome you to the Zen community and offer a little encouragement :)
    When the world gets in my face I say Have A Nice Day.
    * I DO Think and I HAVE BEEN Zenned - therefore, I AM * I donate - do you?
    Custom Templates and Zen Services CRS Designs, Inc.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you TinaS!

I'm still trying to figure out the right questions to ask, but trust me, when I do, this is where I'll be asking them.

Thanks again,
    mrsmoondog

Plugin Contributions

well, they kinda frown on advertising other selling sites on their site. So it's a bit tricky
    Not if you stick a note into each parcel you send to customers advertising your new website! They can't monitor that.

Vger

Plugin Contributions

Exxx-actly Vger!

I'm also planning on listing on Google/Froogle...