Plugin Contributions

Default The credit card number starting with was not entered correctly, or we do not accept t

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    When using the vanilla CC module, Zen Cart does not send your credit card number to anyone for validation. It uses built-in logic to evaluate the card's validity. If you google for MOD10 or Luhn algorithm, you'll see the formula/concept used to check a credit card number for validity.

Zen Cart uses this MOD10 approach combined with the list of accepted cards you have configured in Admin->Configuration->Credit Cards. If the number fails validation or is a card-type that is not accepted based on your settings, it will be rejected with the error message you mentioned.

So, testing with your own personal number is a good approach. Here's an acid test: If you're not comfortable using your own CC number on your own website, why would you expect customers to do that either ? Your fear that it was transmitted to someone else is valid. That's also the reason why the card digits are split up before being emailed, and are not stored in your store in their entirety.

There are other test numbers you can use (after removing dashes), such as:
    Visa#: 4111111111111111
    Visa#: 4007000000027
    MasterCard: 5431-1111-1111-1111
    MC#: 5424000000000015
    Discover#: 6011000000000012
    Amex: 341-1111-1111-1111
    Discover: 6011-6011-6011-6611
    AMEX#: 370000000000002
    Visa#: 4222222222222

You might also note that Zen Cart uses these Credit Card Prefix Patterns (and more) to detect which kind of card your customer has entered.
    Visa: 13 or 16 numbers starting with 4
    MasterCard: 16 numbers starting with 5
    Discover: 16 numbers starting with 6011
    AMEX: 15 numbers starting with 34 or 37
    There are many other articles about the anatomy of credit card numbers
    I tried the test numbers on the Offline processor and all I get is
    The credit card number starting with was not entered correctly, or we do not accept that kind of card. Please try again or use another credit card.
    Does anyone have any idea what is going wrong? I'm using 1.3.8a.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Credit Card Basics

You've got the cards disabled in Admin->Configuration->Credit Cards.

Also, why are you trying to use the Offline module anyway?

And you should really be upgrading to v1.3.9 too.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

You've got the cards disabled in Admin->Configuration->Credit Cards.

Also, why are you trying to use the Offline module anyway?

And you should really be upgrading to v1.3.9 too.
    I have the cards enabled and it is still not working. I am going to go to 1.3.9b but I was in the middle of setting up this cart when the 1.3.9 came out and want to get it working and bringing income while I do the test for 1.3.9b.
    Last edited by cycochuck; 14 May 2010 at 11:16 PM.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Understood.

However, the "Offline" module is no longer offered in v1.3.9 and newer for security reasons. You should be using a live gateway instead. If you absolutely must have an offline module, you'll need to install an addon for that purpose.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Understood.

However, the "Offline" module is no longer offered in v1.3.9 and newer for security reasons. You should be using a live gateway instead. If you absolutely must have an offline module, you'll need to install an addon for that purpose.
    I was trying to link up and test on my gateway and kept getting back from it invalid card number even when I use my own credit cards. I switched to the offline to troubleshoot if it was the gateway or the cart causing the problem. The offline one gives me the same error.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

What version of PHP?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: The credit card number starting with was not entered correctly, or we do not acce

4.2 or whatever godaddy is using. I was was going to switch to their 5 but it was going to break everything else on my site.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: The credit card number starting with was not entered correctly, or we do not acce

Well, this is what I would do first: http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p...Obscure_Issues

Plugin Contributions

Well, this is what I would do first: http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p...Obscure_Issues
    I found my problem. The Fast and Easy Checkout module I installed before I got my merchant account was messing everything up and I just didn't know it because I never thought of testing credit cards until I got the account. I uninstalled it and everything works again. Currently finishing upgrading to 1.3.9b.

Thanks a lot for the help.