Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Easy embed template

THANK YOU!!!!

That worked like a charm! At least what I have tested so far. I was so excited to see everything looking like I expected, I had to post this reply.

I would be more than happy to give my input into the documentation. I will try to put something together this weekend, and hopefully post it early next week.

Again thanks a bunch!!!

Mike

Plugin Contributions

mike also remember to post a link to the site so we can add it to the to the showcase.

JOsh

Plugin Contributions

Hi, do you have an example of what this template looks like?

Thanks

Bridgett

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by PinkLeopard View Post
    Hi, do you have an example of what this template looks like?

Thanks

Bridgett
    If you search through this thread, there are several examples of this template in use that have been posted.. Don't expect to see anything "obvious" as you look at the various sites.. This template is what I like to term the "invisible" template.. Unlike other templates which have graphics and colors that are coordinated together, this template is merely designed to fit ZenCart within your existing site. Once you get it configured, you only need to tweak the carts CSS to match your site..

Plugin Contributions

red flag Re: Easy embed template

Hey all,

I recently started to bring my business online. I have been looking for a simple shopping cart to add to my website I am designing (I have some designing/php/xhtml programming skills/knowledge). I currently have it on my test server located on my PC. I am using Xampp v1.7.1. So I have been trying to figure out how zen cart and this template works.

It would probably be better is I start off by explaining what I would like from the system. I have basic html files with my own jscripts and css files. I have already created the whole website(including sub directories roughly 50 pages all together). I would like to implement the shopping cart feature but not change my current layout design or ruin the look and feel. Is this possible with the template/zen-cart

Ok now where I stand. I installed the zen-cart system as per the instructions .

The zen-cart is now located in: c:\xampp\htdocs\zen\.
    I have installed and activated the template as per instructions
    The template is located at: c:\xampp\htdocs\zen\includes\templates\sang_embed\.

My website currently lies in: c:\xampp\htdocs\online_store\.

Now how do I get zen cart "integrated"/embedded into my layout as the instructions confused me a bit. (Yes I have NO experience in zen cart ). I kinda need the "zen-cart for dummies" kinda explanation if possible

Regards,
    Johan
    a.k.a - Noob in Need!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by jrheeder View Post
    Hey all,

I recently started to bring my business online. I have been looking for a simple shopping cart to add to my website I am designing (I have some designing/php/xhtml programming skills/knowledge). I currently have it on my test server located on my PC. I am using Xampp v1.7.1. So I have been trying to figure out how zen cart and this template works.

It would probably be better is I start off by explaining what I would like from the system. I have basic html files with my own jscripts and css files. I have already created the whole website(including sub directories roughly 50 pages all together). I would like to implement the shopping cart feature but not change my current layout design or ruin the look and feel. Is this possible with the template/zen-cart

Ok now where I stand. I installed the zen-cart system as per the instructions .

The zen-cart is now located in: c:\xampp\htdocs\zen\.
    I have installed and activated the template as per instructions
    The template is located at: c:\xampp\htdocs\zen\includes\templates\sang_embed\.

My website currently lies in: c:\xampp\htdocs\online_store\.

Now how do I get zen cart "integrated"/embedded into my layout as the instructions confused me a bit. (Yes I have NO experience in zen cart ). I kinda need the "zen-cart for dummies" kinda explanation if possible

Regards,
    Johan
    a.k.a - Noob in Need!
    In short with this contrib you are creating a blank page with Zen cart in the middle. To "embed" it you simply create a "default" page with your site's layout elements (header, footer, side nav -- if present) and on this page you add a snippet of code that places your store where you would like it to appear on the page. You will need to update some configurations files to point to the location of the store, and you will need to modify the stores CSS file to match the rest of your site.. but that's pretty much it.. In the end, this is what you get

<<Your site header>>

INSERT ZEN CART HERE

<<Your site footer>>
    My honest suggestion for you is that you read through this entire thread.. (YIKES!!!!) this template is easy peezy to use, but the only way IMO to truly understand it and how it benefits/works for you is to read this support thread.. (oh yeah.. please gnore all the posts by chas1 he was sort of a ride fella -- sorry -- had to say it..) There is some good information in this thread, and IMO it is worth the time to take to go through the thread to get a complete understanding how this contrib works..

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DivaVocals View Post
    (oh yeah.. please gnore all the posts by chas1 he was sort of a ride fella -- sorry -- had to say it..)
    chas1 was 2 people a husband and a wife team. the bloke was not that bad. but the wife, iovey.
    <rant>But I have to agree with her a lot of the open source is not for the lazy harted. you may have to RTFM. After all I wrote the program. I know how to use it. any documentation I provide is out of the goodness of my heart and in all reality the time it takes me to write it is food off my plate.
    </rant>
    (I almost abandoned giving any support after I had to deal with them)

JOsh

Plugin Contributions

Default 2a finaly in down loads section.

it should be point out that the newest stable version is finally in the down laods section
    http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=990.
    enjoy the html readme file

Plugin Contributions

JOsh,

from what I have read so far (and there is A LOT of posts ) your work is really really good. But I just need to stress I have NO experience in zen cart so when I read the posts it comes across to me that people have a great amount of experience in the zen cart system and thus the talk on the advanced side of the things. Now I know I have a lot of learn to catch up on I just want to know how to start off so I can add my own layout around/to the zen cart.

SO where would I start and what things do I need to do to add my own layout on top of the zen cart system using your temples (because to be fair the templates given are not bespoke thus very generic and slightly over used and thus becoming less attractive)

Any advise is more than welcome.

Regards,
    Johan
    a.k.a. Noob in Need!

Plugin Contributions

I am NO expert.. I am an HTML coder who had to step her game up to keep up with client needs.. Thus I had to learn some new stuff.. Now I am no PHP coder, but I have spent lots of time practicing and playing with Zen Cart to get it.. I'm still learning, but I learn something new with each Zen Cart site I build.. Zen Cart is awesome, and I am always amazed with the things you can do if you think a little outside the box..

Where you can start is to setup a test store, download Josh's template contribution, follow the instructions for configuring it and just dive in.. There is no SIMPLER way of getting into this than that.. and remember Josh's template is PRIMARILY designed to wrap your own site design around Zen Cart.. You will still have to modify the template's stylesheet in order to tie Zen Cart to your site's color scheme.

As for the template offerings here, yes they are generic.. They should be. They are merely a place to start for most folks.. Once you get into this, you will see that there is WAAAAAAY more you can do with Zen Cart than these templates would lead you to think at first blush.

Quote Originally Posted by jrheeder View Post
    JOsh,

from what I have read so far (and there is A LOT of posts ) your work is really really good. But I just need to stress I have NO experience in zen cart so when I read the posts it comes across to me that people have a great amount of experience in the zen cart system and thus the talk on the advanced side of the things. Now I know I have a lot of learn to catch up on I just want to know how to start off so I can add my own layout around/to the zen cart.

SO where would I start and what things do I need to do to add my own layout on top of the zen cart system using your temples (because to be fair the templates given are not bespoke thus very generic and slightly over used and thus becoming less attractive)

Any advise is more than welcome.

Regards,
    Johan
    a.k.a. Noob in Need!

Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast