Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default [Done v1.3.9b] 1.3.9a Random Reviews Running Rampant

How's that for alliteration? ;)

Prior to upgrade, I had 1.3.8a. The Reviews sidebox was in play and behaving perfectly. It was set to display one review at a time, and to rotate up to 100 reviews.

Post upgrade, it seems every review ever written is being shown in the box, untruncated. The only thing not appearing is the customer's name who wrote it. I didn't check to see if that's a new change. In any case, I'd like it to behave again, as far as how many reviews should be showing. My index page is quite long now, to say the least! ;)

I can't seem to find where it's instructed to display one review in the box. So I toggled the max value rotation setting instead. To no avail. I've also checked reviews.php and tpl_reviews_random, but I don't see anything glaring that jumps out at me, except possibly MAX_RANDOM_SELECT_REVIEWS in reviews.php (line 31) needs to be defined somewhere. I tried to reduce the "60" in tpl_random_reviews to fix the truncation, but that didn't seem to make a difference. I also removed what looked like an extra dash right after the 60 and before the next <br> (line 16). That didn't make a difference either.

Out of ideas. TIA for any help! :)

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: 1.3.9a Random Reviews Running Rampant

Quote Originally Posted by ToniScraparoni View Post
    Thanks, Rob, but it isn't a mod.
    My reviews sidebox showed all reviews (and all text , I believe) down the page. Sounds similar to what you saw. I disabled it until I can investigate, but having other issues at the moment.

I don't remember if I used a 3rd party or the builtin reviews.
    Aloha from Hawaii! (its a dirty job, but SOMEBODY has to live here...)

Plugin Contributions

Just to let you know , I am also having this issue.
    FMUK Consulting - Web Design & Development | Graphics | Marketing | Apps - http://www.FMUKConsulting.co.uk

Plugin Contributions

Check the settings in the Configuration ... Maximum Values ...
    Random Product Reviews for SideBox
    Number of random product REVIEWS to rotate in the sidebox
    Enter the number of products to display in this sidebox at one time.

How many products do you want to display in this sidebox?
    How many are you set to display?
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

In my case, 10.

Plugin Contributions

10 will show 10 reviews ... if you only want to see 1 set that to 1 ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    10 will show 10 reviews ... if you only want to see 1 set that to 1 ...
    I have changed Random Product Reviews for Sidebox (Max) and Random New Product Reviews for Sidebox (Max) both to 1. The problem persists. Also, all of the text shows for the review, instead of the few lines of text which displayed before. I think it used to be limited to 60 characters, which was 3 or 4 lines of sidebox.

It may have moved or combined elsewhere with the rewrite of the file, but in the old reviews code, there was this:

---
    $review_box_text_query = "select substring(reviews_text, 1, 60) as reviews_text
    from " . TABLE_REVIEWS_DESCRIPTION . "
    ---

which I assume limited the text in the box to 60 characters and not the whole review.

I will disable reviews until I can play more, as it is not critical for me to have this at present.

As an aside, I still have .htaccess issues, which I do not think is causing this.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Did you forget to upgrade your tpl_reviews_random.php template?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Tony, can you specify which version you upgraded from?
    I'm puzzled as to why it would be showing 100 reviews if you have only specified 1 as the maximum. I can't recreate that problem in 1.3.9

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

The issue of the "text" on product reviews showing the entire review can be quickly fixed by making this small change to the tpl_reviews_random.php template file:

Find this:
    [FONT="Courier New"]zen_break_string(nl2br(zen_output_string_protected(stripslashes($random_review_sidebox_pr oduct->fields['reviews_text']))), 60, '-<br />') . ' ..</a><br /><br />'[/FONT]
    and replace with this:
    [FONT="Courier New"]zen_trunc_string(nl2br(zen_output_string_protected(stripslashes($random_review_sidebox_pr oduct->fields['reviews_text']))), 60) . '</a><br /><br />'[/FONT]
    Last edited by DrByte; 23 Apr 2010 at 09:11 PM. Reason: corrections

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast