Plugin Contributions

Future Zen Template - fullwidth_capsule.gif nav bar?

I'm trying to create a nav bar utilizing the fullwidth_capsule.gif in the future_zen template and need to know if anyone knows how to:

1. Create the nav bar and have it show up just under header image / logo?

2. How to create "custom" nav links for the nav bar...i.e. I don't want the categories to be in the nav bar, but rather, such things as home, log-in, about us, contact us, and other info pages or extra pages.

3. Once the nav bar is successfully in place, I will then want to remove the home, log-in and search that appears at the very top (above the header image / logo)...so if anyone can direct me as to the lines of code to change or remove and in which file it's located.

The site (still under development) that I'm trying to achieve these effects for is: http://www.learningbydvd.com/newstore. Thanks in advance for input and help.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Future Zen Template - fullwidth_capsule.gif nav bar?

Quote Originally Posted by bhuntsman
    I'm trying to create a nav bar utilizing the fullwidth_capsule.gif in the future_zen template and need to know if anyone knows how to:

1. Create the nav bar and have it show up just under header image / logo?

2. How to create "custom" nav links for the nav bar...i.e. I don't want the categories to be in the nav bar, but rather, such things as home, log-in, about us, contact us, and other info pages or extra pages.

3. Once the nav bar is successfully in place, I will then want to remove the home, log-in and search that appears at the very top (above the header image / logo)...so if anyone can direct me as to the lines of code to change or remove and in which file it's located.

The site (still under development) that I'm trying to achieve these effects for is: http://www.learningbydvd.com/newstore. Thanks in advance for input and help.
    I think you're mixing a few things up here and potentially making life more difficult for yourself than it needs to be.

Firstly let's straighten out the vocabulary. The nav bar is the one at the top with Home and Login. The list of categories in the header is called the Category Tabs and the one that you haven't yet mentioned, but which is probably the answer to your question is the EZ-Pages Header.

The traditional answer to your question would have been to edit your tpl_header file to move the nav bar to below the logo / banner and then manually add in your new links. However, with Zen Cart 1.3, there's an easier way.

The EZ-Pages header bar offers you both the ability both to display other internal Zen Cart links such as for login, home or contact us, and also, where they don't already exist, to create pages and link to them, e.g. about us. You would still need to edit/comment out the nav bar menu, but you would no longer have to worry about correct formation of the links that you are adding and all can be controlled from a single menu (Admin > Tools > EZ-Pages

As a free gift, when you create EZ_Page Header links and (ensure that the link bar is turned on), future Zen by default attaches the fullwidth_capsule.gif to it.

This is an overview of the solution. The quality of your site suggests to me that you are quite savvy and don't need every detail spelt out, but I'd be happy to expand on any part of this that is unclear.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Future Zen Template - fullwidth_capsule.gif nav bar?

Kuroi,

I want to say a huge THANKS to you (and to everyone else who is actively involved in making ZC better and better). I consider myself to be at an intermediate level when it comes to ZC, so it helps to have such knowledeable people as yourself participating in this forum to assist those of us in the beginner to intermediate level.

I'm trying hard to make a really professional looking site www.learningbydvd.com/newstore(still in development, but hopefully ready to go live within the next two days) to replace my very amateur present sitewww.learningbydvd.com. And what a difference between my present site's v1.2.4 and the new site's v1.3.0.2. Since I was still using v1.2.4, I was not aware of the wonderful EZPages feature...all I can say is WOW to that feature...a big thanks to all who contributed to that one...I appreciate your clarification of vocabulary and to your informing me of the EZPages feature.

And finally, another enormous thanks to you, Kuroi, for providing the future_zen template. It has served as a wonderful springboard for me to begin delving into customizing templates for my site.

Best regards to all.