Plugin Contributions

Default Zen Cart vs. OScommerce, which one is better?

I'm new to both Zen Cart and OSCommerce. Can someone tell me which one is better? Is Zen Cart easy to use and more secured than OSC? Does Zen Cart run on server with Global Register set to "OFF"? Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Zen Cart vs. OScommerce, which one is better?

Quote Originally Posted by henryvuong
    I'm new to both Zen Cart and OSCommerce. Can someone tell me which one is better? Is Zen Cart easy to use and more secured than OSC? Does Zen Cart run on server with Global Register set to "OFF"? Thanks.
    There are many threads comparing the 2 programs so I won't go into detail, but to answer your questions ...

1- Of course we feel that Zen Cart is far superior to a program that has not changed its code in more than 3 years.

2- Definately more secure and far easier to use.

3- Register Globals OFF is the recommended server setting, but it will run the other way too.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by henryvuong
    For the last two years, I have been working toward migrating from my Americart site. I studied and installed a test oscommerce store. Easy enough, but too few included features. Then I started working with creloaded. More features, but glitchy and still not enough features.

Then I found Zencart.. Ahhh!
    Give us your best shot!
    http://www.photoimprints.com

Plugin Contributions

I think that by just looking at the traffic and the speed at which support is provided/received on these forums it is clear that ZENCART is alive and kicking.

We even received an update as recent as a couple of weeks ago (1.3.0.2)

OSC has not been updated for years now and since the release of PHP 4 you will find it difficult, if not impossible, to convince any commercial ISP to change the settings for "Register Globals". Having this on is a major security risk for the hosting server. As far as I know OSC requires this to be set to ON. (There is a work-around available but why go to all that trouble if ZENCART can do the same and more).

Programmers familiar with PHP coding can also easily port functions from OSC to ZENCART if required.

Plugin Contributions

I just finished upgrading from osCommerce (which I've used quite a bit in the past) to Zen Cart. I feel Zen Cart is superior and have a little upgrade guide on my page

thepavel.com/osc-to-zencart/

osC's register_globals and lack of decent support for payment modules finally made me switch.

Plugin Contributions

Nice bump. zencart was not only better and more active 3 years ago, 2.0 is gonna be the best ecommerce software ever.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lutskovp View Post
    I just finished upgrading from osCommerce (which I've used quite a bit in the past) to Zen Cart. I feel Zen Cart is superior and have a little upgrade guide on my page

thepavel.com/osc-to-zencart/

osC's register_globals and lack of decent support for payment modules finally made me switch.
    I just read your blog post 'Goodbye osCommerce, hello Zen Cart' -- I could not agree with you more regarding osc! It's clunky, you have to rip apart the core files to do almost any mod add on and too many of those just don't work.

I spent months building my osc store and now I'm almost done with my zc after just a couple of weeks. I can't wait till I can make the final switch and ditch osc 4eva.

The two clinchers for me are the stupid loop they put a customer through when logging in with an item in the shopping cart. Osc by default sends the customer back to the index page And the difficulty in having a QTY BOX FOR ATTRIBUTES. Good Lord, it just can't be done without numerous never ending mods which wind up breaking something else.

Plugin Contributions

I have been using Zen Cart for about 3 years now and couldn't be happier. Before jumping into offering e-commerce solutions for clients, I researched and tested the major open source options (OS Commerce, Zen, CRE Loaded) and have more recently tested Magento. I feel that Zen cart is the easiest option to customize, to template, to control, and to allow clients to be able to interact with. True, OS has more contributions, but I feel that the Zen contributions are great and I've never been left lacking. Even with new options popping up, I still feel that Zen Cart is the way to go.