Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Zen Cart Easy Install

One of the most important things that is NOT mentioned in the install is really simple, unless you do not know better - if you are trying to install on a Windows server, "nuke" the .htaccess files.

Someone MUST please put that into the documentation somewhere - it just about drove this old geek nuts (I am a 66 year young die-hard professional geek and sometimes my fried old brain just groans!).

Having said all that nonesense - this beats OsCommerce against the wall, and I am NOT making fun of OsCommerce... there's probably more blood, sweat, and tears in that sweet little ole ap than are in the words of the songs Blood Sweat and Tears sang "back in my day."

Keep on keepin' on!

John Underwood

Plugin Contributions

Referring back to the first post of the thread...has anybody else noticed how, time and time again, someone makes their first post a blistering attack, yet never responds to all those whose patience must be sorely tried yet have still offered the same old help and guidance again?
    Development Manager @ JSWeb Ltd
    Over 15 years with Zencart

Plugin Contributions

You nailed that one! And, thanks for using my post as an example... and I am not being sarcastic. I guess it is their way of getting noticed (smile).
    Respectfully,
    John Underwood

Plugin Contributions

I wasn't...that's why I opened my post with "Referring back to the first post"

Plugin Contributions

lol.. time for a new thread!

Ryk.. i was a 'newb' at one point.. im not sure if u recall some of my first threads but they are more than worthy of being deleted!!! i guess it just takes patience.. we are all 'newbs' at one point and if that guy just refuses to cooperate then i guess HE is the one missing out.

;)

-chris

Plugin Contributions

I've always been in 2 minds whether that sort of thing should be deleted, but the more I've thought about it, the more I believe it right to leave them be because newcomers will gain a much better understanding of the genuine nature of these forums if they take the trouble to read past the opening moan.

On the other hand, if they can't be bothered to go beyond that then they're probably no loss to the community anyway!

Plugin Contributions

Ryk,

Your kind-heartedness is grand. You have taken the time to respond to my needs while at the same time provided guidance for others without being rude, arrogant, and unkind. My personal salute to you and your attitude and support.

Sincerely,

John Underwood

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by jund
    Ryk,

Your kind-heartedness is grand. You have taken the time to respond to my needs while at the same time provided guidance for others without being rude, arrogant, and unkind. My personal salute to you and your attitude and support.

Sincerely,

John Underwood
    Damn - must be having an off day then!

Plugin Contributions

Guys & gals

I'm in the same boat as the OP was and am having difficulty getting this installed locally on my machine.

I'm using MAMP as my test local server & I guess it's the ports that are the problem?
    Under Apache I set the document root to the local file location
    "/Applications/MAMP/htdocs/thatsbeadiful/catalog"
    I changed all of the files access levels to read/write which I assume means setting the permissions to 777 by right clicking ==> read/write

Anyway, I got through all of that but when I went to Starting the Installer in the browser
    "http://localhost:8888/MAMP/htdocs/thatsbeadiful/catalog/zc_install
    The requested URL /MAMP/htdocs/thatsbeadiful/catalog/zc_install was not found on this server."

If any of this makes sense I question whether or not my ports are set up correctly:
    apache: 80
    mysql: 3306

also:
    php 5

I really don't understand but that's as far as I can get so far. Not exciting. This was done in safari & firefox

3rd try... after resetting ports to default

Not Found

The requested URL /MAMP/htdocs/thatsbeadiful/catalog was not found on this server.
    Apache/2.0.59 (Unix) PHP/5.1.6 DAV/2 Server at localhost Port 80

I'm very familiar with using php once it's up and running but this is my first clean slate attempt in an install.

< was going to use OS Commerce, but was referred here instead. Look forward to any help offered. I'll just take a day's break from this and come back for hopefull replies

-Andy

Plugin Contributions

Andy-

Happy Holidays and welcome to Zen Cart. Did you see this post? http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51102

Hope it helps.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast