Thread: Upgrading MySQL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgrading MySQL

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte
    how much control do you have over your MySQL ?
    Can you turn off the STRICT_TRANS_TABLES setting?
    I have control of it. I commented it out in my.ini.

I also changed the shipping address requirement on the item.

When I tested this it worked. I don't know if it is fixed or if the problem is intermittent. Is it possible for a problem like this to be intermittent?

Plugin Contributions

Have a Drink Re: Upgrading MySQL

A search of the forums found this thread - GREAT! It was exactly the same error I was getting. I've been using MySQL 5 from the initial install of Zen Cart and hadn't run into any errors before this. Dr. Byte's recommendation to comment out the line in "my.ini" worked perfectly. Only question is, will the host I eventually put this store on allow me to do the same?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by rbobzin View Post
    ...recommendation to comment out the line in "my.ini" worked perfectly. Only question is, will the host I eventually put this store on allow me to do the same?
    That's an important question you'll have to ask *them*.

However, a better choice would be to use the latest version of Zen Cart that is already patched in many places to be compatible with MySQL 5. Each new release has more and more things fixed in that regard.
    You should also make sure any addons you install are also compatible with MySQL 5. Usually this is only determined by testing, since most contributors don't supply that information

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I was so delighted to have finally (after 3 very long days) successfully installed the latest versions of Apache, MySQL and PHP (and phpMyAdmin) without the help of a third-party package (I've used Apache2Triad, Xampp, and a couple others) that I brazenly scoffed at the notion that I might not get Zen Cart to work with MySQL 5!

I started my Zen Cart voyage with version 1.3.7, after having played with literally dozens of other ecom packages, and found it to be far superior to anything else out there. The overrides system is terrific, support via the FAQs, Wiki, How-To's, Hoek's book and the forums is second-to-none, and many of the add-ons are ingenious and well-written. Problems with MySQL 5 - bah, humbug!

I agree it would be great if all mods at least tried to emulate the format, protocol and quality of some of the best, but considering the complexities and "demographics" of the open source world, that's probably too much to ask. So, lesson learned - test, test again, then test one more time!
    RAB

Why is it I'm always surprised when something actually works?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Now that's a great attitude !!!

Let me ask this ... since you're using v1.3.7, and you encountered an error message indicating that strict translations were causing problems, can you please give some specific details of what/where/how you encountered this error and the exact message?
    If there's something that needs fixing in the core, I'd like to investigate ...

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Unfortunately, the error occurred during testing phase of a new Zen Cart install (on localhost) to which I added several mods (some with sql updates) in an attempt to come up with an improved "starter" store. I had so many errors that I can't remember when this one happened, nor do I know if it was caused by Zen Cart or one of the mods. I do know I was testing Admin, not Shop, stuff.

I'll keep better track of errors now and let you know of any MySQL problems if they occur.

Quick question - Seems Zen Cart doesn't use the "mysql_free_result" command - wouldn't this have an effect on performance?
    RAB

Why is it I'm always surprised when something actually works?

Plugin Contributions

quick question from a newb
    which version of mysql should i be running
    to get the best compatibility with zencart

Plugin Contributions

MySQL 5!
    Is your site Upgraded to the current version 1.5.4 Yet?
    zencart-upgrades-website-installation

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12