Plugin Contributions

Default Advice please - what mods should I install to make Zen life easier?

I'm preparing to construct my first store using Zen Cart.

Once I get the initial installation completed and before I load my products, do I need to install any additional mods to do any of the following?

-go to PayPal Website Standard for credit card/paypal payment processing

-make automatic backups

-integrate with UPS for shipping (I live in the US)

-have photos resize automatically

Are there any mods that are must-haves that I don't know about?

Thanks for your advice.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Advice please - what mods should I install to make Zen life easier?

From your list the only one that I would consider is the image handler mod...Zen Cart has a built in system that consists of 3 image sizes and works without a fault but you need to create the 3 images. The Image Handler in the dowloads section does this on the fly for you.

As to other must haves...this really depends on the type of products that you intend on selling. There are many that assist in providing ways to present additional information, change the way one sells, and others and most can be added later without much problems.

I would recommend that you begin with making yourself familiar with the templating system, the override system and start with 1.3.0.2 and a template based on the template default files. This will position you with the easiest to upgrade install currently attainable. This will be important.

You might also start with evaluating a basic install and determine if Zen Cart allows what you want in the way of presenting your products and avoid concerning yourself with styling for the time being.
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Advice please - what mods should I install to make Zen life easier?

Depending on the number of products you have, you may well find Easy Populate an essential mod.

For automatic db backups you will need an additional script. This is not part of ZC, nor is it a mod, but there are plenty to choose from at hotscripts.com. You will also need CRON, but if you don't have that, you can find php scheduler scripts.
    Development Manager @ JSWeb Ltd
    Over 15 years with Zencart