Plugin Contributions

Default Is my plan Sound

Ok I've been skimming though a lot of the posts here to try to figue out how i am going to go about upgrading to 1.3.5

Here is what I would like to do and think is possible.

upload the new full version to a seperate directory.

Copy the current database.

connect the new version to the copied database and run the upgrade script (i assume from reading there is one)

Configure the cart to the way i like it. Get my template all set etc.

Here is where i get confused...

In the time between me setting up the new cart and going live, i will have orders, how would i import the new information from the old database into the new?

Does my approach sound logical?
    Using: Zencart 1.3.7 and lovin' every minute of it.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Is my plan Sound

Everything sounds good except this part...
    In the time between me setting up the new cart and going live, i will have orders, how would i import the new information from the old database into the new?
    Your store should be offline during your upgrade, preventing this issue. That's why you pull down a copy of your live store (the files and folders, not DB), and merge your customizations into the new version first, while your store is still running.

Only when you are ready to run the install script (zc_install folder), do you worry about the database, as the code will upgrade the DB automatically. At that point, the store goes offline, back up your database, then complete run the upgrade scripts and bring it all back online.

It's tricky the first time, but once you do it successfully it makes sense.
    Frank Koehl
    "Cleverly Disguised as a Responsible Adult"

frankkoehl.com

Plugin Contributions

Ok I think i see what you are saying but i want to avoid merging anything. Basically i want to start fresh and keep the new code pure and add new mods not merge old ones so that i know everything is completely up to date. In the end i just want my products, Customers and their orders in there.

With the way you are describing what database am I connected too when I'm installing all of the mods. Do i create a new database or connect to the old, in which case i would have two carts connected to a single database, the live cart and the new cart that is being configured.

I guess what i am saying is i don't want to upgrade my existing cart i am more or less trying to migrate to a new one. Is this possible or am i going to be stuck.
    Using: Zencart 1.3.7 and lovin' every minute of it.

Plugin Contributions

Landshark, are you thinking that the time between taking the backup and going live will be minutes/hours or days/weeks? Because if it will only be hours, then yes, just take the shop offline as blindside suggests. If it will be days (or weeks), then treat the backup database, which you will import from your server onto your own PC, as just a test database. At install time, when you're ready to go live, take the shop down, backup the database AGAIN, install your new files and upgrade your database. That way you won't lose information that was entered between your first backup and your installation. (Other people do it different ways, but this is one way that works.)

Good luck,
    Scott
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

This is the method I like to use to make a clean upgrade ...

I make a new directory called:
    /new_shop

I make a new database with a new username and password called:
    v135

or whatever name works for your database naming, I use the version so I know what and when I upgraded the database ... username and password are also dependant on can you give unique username and password to your database or not ...

NOTE: don't forget to add the new username to the new database

Backup the Live Site database and load this to my new database

Upload all the files from the New Version of Zen Cart to the /new_shop

NOTE: Set all permissions as if installing a new site, but the Installer will tell you if you forget anything ...

Copy the 2 configure.php files from your Live Shop to:
    /new_shop/includes/configure.php
    /new_shop/admin/includes/configure.php

Edit both files and change the paths for the /new_shop and the database name, username and password to the new database

NOTE: If you have created all of your template and override directories correctly, you will want to upload them into the /new_shop

NOTE: if you are starting from scratch on the templates and overrides remember after the upgrade everything will look weird as your template directory name is in your database from your Live Site ...

Next, run the:
    /new_shop/zc_install

Upgrade your database to the new version ...

NOTE: if more than 1 checkbox is selected, uncheck all but the first one and run them 1 at a time ... this helps you detect any issues and break down what upgrade step you are having so that you can correct/detect an issue easier

Repeat the Upgrade until no more checkboxes are left ...

NOTE: this upgrade of the database for the /new_shop site was done to "test" what needs to be done and allow you to work on your site ...

From this point on, any changes you make to settings, keep them in a NotePad file as you will need to reset them later ... on the real upgrade ...

What is the "real" upgrade?

The real upgrade will be when you have /new_shop running perfectly and have tested everything from create account to adding to the shopping cart to placing an order with each of your Payment Modules and checked them in the Admin Orders ... and checked them in the emails ... and checked them in the My Account ... etc.

When all is perfect ... 110% perfect ... you are ready for a "real" upgraded ...

Take your Live Site Down for Maintenance ...

Backup your Live Site database again (this is the current "now" state of your Live Site ...

Drop all the tables in the /new_shop database and load the "now" backup of your Live Site ...

Run the /new_shop/zc_install again ...

Remember you are now in Down for Maintenance and you need to change templates and reset your sideboxes as any changes you had in the database are gone ...

Fix any configuration changes that you made ... these too are easy to do they are also in your handy dandy NotePad file ...

You did write all that down in NotePad ... right?

When all is perfect ... and you have again tested everything and it is working 110% ...

Edit the 2 configure.php files reflect the path of your Live Site from the /new_shop that you were using:
    /new_shop/includes/configure.php
    /new_shop/admin/includes/configure.php

Do NOT change the database name or username or password ... your new database in now the new Live Site database ...

Next, move all the directories and files from your Live site to /old_shop

NOTE: if your site is in a directory, you can just rename the directory /old_shop

Next, move your /new_shop files to where your Live Shop exists ... again if you used the directory such as /catalog you can just rename /new_shop to /catalog

Now, test everything ... from your Live Shop ... this should be your upgrade site with all your changes and your new Live Shop database ...

If all works and you are 110% happy ... take the Live Site off of Down for Maintenance and you are back in business ...

This method allows you to take all the time in the world to work out any changes, tweaks etc. in a new upgrade so that the Live Site is actually down for the least amount of time ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!