Hybrid View

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Super Orders 2.0

Ok, love the mod.

One change that I made. I currently do not have a Fax for my business, so there is no reason for me to have an empty fax on my invoice.

I changed line 89-90 on super_invoice.php to this.
    <td class="invoiceHeading" align="left" valign="top"><?php if (STORE_FAX != ''){echo HEADER_FAX;} ?></td>
    <td class="invoiceHeading" align="left" valign="top"><?php if (STORE_FAX != ''){echo STORE_FAX;} ?></td>

so that if down the road I add a fax, and fill the info in the admin, that the information will then automatically show on my invoices, but for now, it doesnt.

Greg

Plugin Contributions

That last suggestion (good one) contains <td> tags...

People should realize and keep in mind that the default template system of zen is strongly and swiftly moving away from tables, and encouraging the much better system of using <div> tags and css to format/position them. It'll be helpful in this effort if contributions followed suite.

- Steven

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by s_mack
    That last suggestion (good one) contains <td> tags...

People should realize and keep in mind that the default template system of zen is strongly and swiftly moving away from tables, and encouraging the much better system of using <div> tags and css to format/position them. It'll be helpful in this effort if contributions followed suite.

- Steven
    I agree <div> is the way to go, but the problem is its just not controlled enough, sometimes you need a hardened way of doing things. Perhaps if w3 starts supporting align again, as well as width, height, and borders, but then that would defeat the purpose.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by qhome
    I agree <div> is the way to go, but the problem is its just not controlled enough, sometimes you need a hardened way of doing things. Perhaps if w3 starts supporting align again, as well as width, height, and borders, but then that would defeat the purpose.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "controlled". You are offered a VASTLY superior array of tools for formatting and positioning with css versus standard html.

The only "good" reason to resist (it is futile though) is being too lazy to learn :) CSS is very tricky for the uninitiated and it isn't an enviable position to have to learn it suddenly. Learn it well I mean. It is worth the effort though, in my opinion... and as the platform continues to migrate that way, laggers only cause themselves more headaches later by not adopting sooner.

I agree that it is EASIER to do things in tables most of the time, but it is by no means required. My entire site (well, the new one that isn't published yet) doesn't contain a single <table> <tr> or <td> tag. My biggest problem is re-writing contrib code to conform.

As I've done it, I've written the authors suggesting they adopt and handing them the code on a platter... the same will apply here if I ever get around to installing this contrib. I'm ahead of myself here though... I haven't even looked at the SO code to see if any of the above applies :)

So I'll shut up now.

- Steven

Plugin Contributions

i don't know if it really matters though.. since thats what goes on the invoice.. so its all admin side. if the store owner and other employees aren't having a problem with it.. i don't think it would really matter :)

for the catalog side though, i agree with everything s_mack says :)

Plugin Contributions

Lol... I didn't even think about it being on the admin side - so you're right, it puts it on the backburner of a 12 element stove.

- Steven

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gmoyle
    One change that I made. I currently do not have a Fax for my business, so there is no reason for me to have an empty fax on my invoice.

I changed line 89-90 on super_invoice.php to this.
    <td class="invoiceHeading" align="left" valign="top"><?php if (STORE_FAX != ''){echo HEADER_FAX;} ?></td>
    <td class="invoiceHeading" align="left" valign="top"><?php if (STORE_FAX != ''){echo STORE_FAX;} ?></td>

so that if down the road I add a fax, and fill the info in the admin, that the information will then automatically show on my invoices, but for now, it doesnt.
    Good call, I've added that logic to the source. You'll see it in the next version.

I am going to ignore the CSS vs. table discussion that this post generated, and ask that you all do the same. If you want to discuss layout, we have a forum for that; stay on topic.
    Frank Koehl
    "Cleverly Disguised as a Responsible Adult"

frankkoehl.com

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by BlindSide
    I am going to ignore the CSS vs. table discussion that this post generated, and ask that you all do the same. If you want to discuss layout, we have a forum for that; stay on topic.
    I apologize BS. I guess I was having a self richeous moment. Not only off topic, but barely applicable since we're in admin with this mod. I just finished a debate at the university where I work on the merits of accessible web development and I was still in a "mood". Won't happen again.

- Steven