Plugin Contributions

Default How likely is 1.3.5 to break mods?

What I'm most concerned with is how much the 1.3.5d release announced this morning is going to affect some of these mods.
    I spent a LARGE part of Sunday (yesterday) updating mods, and installing the new versions of Sales Report, Super Orders, Tabbed Products etc.

In fact, amongst others, I have
    cross sell
    google analytics
    googlefroogle
    google sitemap
    quick orders
    quick updates (new version)
    Sales Report V2
    Super Orders V2
    Tabbed Products Lite v3.3
    Ultimate SEO URLs
    Recover Cart Sales
    Improved Attribute Controller
    etc etc etc

and as there isn't a full over-rides system, a lot of these touch core code (goodness knows how many changes I've made to html_output.php!)

Instict tells me to wait 2 weeks for the first round of bugs, impatience tells me not! Hindsight makes me wish I'd waited a day and spent yesterday's 5 hours with my family. If only there were an upcoming announcements system...

(And now someone is BOUND to pipe up and tell me I'm sounding ungrateful! There's always one...)

Basically, I'm happy to upgrade, but I have 3 sites to do, which is going to be at least a day with winmerge and a headache, and I don't want to get all the way down to Tabbed Products or something, and find an incompatability!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How likely is 1.3.5 to break mods?

Tabbed Products is likely to give you grief, since the contribution has copied critical "functionality" code directly into the template in order to accomplish what it does.

To update it means you'll have to pull the bits and pieces from all their original locations to determine whether and how to upgrade them all.

That's likely your biggest challenge.

Super Orders should be fine.
    Sales Report should be fine.
    Should be no big issue with any google things, as far as I can guess
    Ultimate SEO has new version for 1.3.5
    recover cart - unaffected I suspect
    Can't vouch for attrib controller ... there were changes to that file...

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kelvyn
    What I'm most concerned with is how much the 1.3.5d release announced this morning is going to affect some of these mods... (And now someone is BOUND to pipe up and tell me I'm sounding ungrateful! There's always one...)...
    You ungrateful #@#@! ;)

Just kidding

This is one thread I think everyone should subscribe to and post results of compatibility and incompatibility issues with mods. It would be great to list which mods DO work and not just the ones that Don't.
    Ahmad Rahman
    TRUST IT | web site design and development
    mobile: 416.828.0224 | email: [email protected]
    www.trustit.ca

For IT solutions how you want IT, when you want IT, TRUST IT.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kelvyn
    Hindsight makes me wish I'd waited a day and spent yesterday's 5 hours with my family. If only there were an upcoming announcements system...

(And now someone is BOUND to pipe up and tell me I'm sounding ungrateful! There's always one...)

Basically, I'm happy to upgrade, but I have 3 sites to do, which is going to be at least a day with winmerge and a headache, and I don't want to get all the way down to Tabbed Products or something, and find an incompatability!
    I know exactly what you mean. I was still "tweaking" my 1.3.2 installations (I've got 2 sites going live soon) and I'm now wondering if I should release on those and wait for the mods to be upgraded and for bugs to get ironed out or if I should bite the bullet and start from the ground up with 1.3.5 and work out which of my installed mods fail.

Has anyone considered making it so that mods are "registered" in the installed Zen Cart - a simple table with the name of the mod and its version could prove invaluable in a ZC upgrade/rebuild situation.

The mods I've installed are:

Image Handler 2
    PDF order Centre
    Google Ads
    PayPal Verified
    Email Export
    Google Maps (the one I installed I had to hack it round anyway so I might work my own solution out for this)
    User Tracking
    Information SideBox
    Ultimate SEO
    Subscription Manager

So I'll start off with those and see how they go.

EDIT: Is there anyway mods known to be 1.3.5 compatible could be grouped together on the download page so that people can easily see which ones work?

Plugin Contributions

My launch was supposed to be today and 4 of the fixes on the update took me hours of hacking like a blind axe murderer. So you can see why I felt like a bigger ingrate after cussing the awesome zen team this morning... I figure it all balances out with the times I get strange looks for randomly blurting out "Dr. Byte, you are a GOD!" or "YES, AJEH!!! That's exactly what I need!"

After thinking about it, I've decided to go ahead with launch and put off the upgrade for at least a week or two because I've been messing with code too much lately and I'm afraid I'll make sloppy mistakes.

I'm new, and I think it's a bit unfair for me to let everyone else be guinea pigs after I already get so many instant solutions from the forums, so I'm contributing to the zen team and supports for the mods I use (as pathetic as my donations are right now). Next update, it probably won't be the day I'm launching and I'll be a guinea pig and help figure out mod compatibility then to make up for this time. It's easy to forget that the mod gods have sites and lives, too, and we expect them to instantly make their mods 1.3.5 compatible without giving them some money for their time. Wow - telethons are contagious.

Plugin Contributions

Look at the bug reports forum Kelvyn and sit on your hands a little longer would be my advice.... although granted it is very tempting to upgrade RIGHT NOW!
    My humble contributions....
    Info at a Glance Admin, Alternative Header & Improved Whos Online + Currently working on the next!
    If you have to think..... your obviously looking at the admin :)

Plugin Contributions

Well everything seems to have worked fine, which is good!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Reesy
    Look at the bug reports forum Kelvyn and sit on your hands a little longer would be my advice.... although granted it is very tempting to upgrade RIGHT NOW!
    LOL. well, I have to admit, I'm glad I didn't see this over the weekend or I might have sat myself down to do all the upgrades. I am running a ton of mods on my cart, and I think it might not be wise for me to touch anything until the "bugs" make an appearance. Esp since I know nothing about how to code.

I'm off to read the bug reports and to peruse the download section I guess.

Upgrades I'm running include:
    Info at a glance
    Better Categories
    Image Handler 2
    Master Password
    Newsletter Subscribe
    Referrals
    Stocks by Attribute (+additional modifications)
    Live again! http://spritelygoods.com Rebuilt on ZC v 1.5.1 from 1.3.0.2

Plugin Contributions

Re: How likely is 1.3.5 to break mods?

I just installed zen 1.3.5 and also installed Ultimate SEO URLS for latest version. In my configuration under admin it does not show SEO link can someone help pls.

tks
    covone

Plugin Contributions

Covone my bet is you have forgotten to run the sql file if there is one.
    Id bet its nothing to do with 1.3.5 and would happen on any version.
    My humble contributions....
    Info at a Glance Admin, Alternative Header & Improved Whos Online + Currently working on the next!
    If you have to think..... your obviously looking at the admin :)