Plugin Contributions

Default Searching for a better attribute system, moving from ViruteMart

My first experiece with an ecommerce package is with VirtueMart, a Joomla component. My search as led me here.

I have three quick questions if you don't mind that would really help me get started.

1) How do I cusomize the layout of the products page? (also can I add a link in this area?)

2) How do I make some attribute requred and some not required?

3) I see that you can add images to the attributes but they are below the attribute. Can I put the image beside say an radio button attribute without it repeating the attributes name?

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Searching for a better attribute system, moving from ViruteMart

1-The best way of doing it is by the overrride system for your template. Yes, you can add a link, there's also already a field provided when entering the product info for a "web link" that will appear on the product page.

2-While setting the attribute, there's an option for that.

3-While setting the attributes, you can decide how they are going to be displayed.

Start HERE to learn more about Zen Cart.
    IDEAS Girl
    IDEAS Creative Group
    = Your image... our business!
    My contributions: SophyBlue / Sophy Blue-Grey / Mistik / The Bookshelf / Dynamic Sideboxes

Plugin Contributions

I read those FAQs. I guess I am not understanding the overriding or the template system or what files or commands show the products or controlls what is in the left or right columns.

Plugin Contributions

An override is a great way to have your own template setting without touching your original files, so you can't never go wrong if you make mistake during your customization, it doesn't affet your zencart original files.

It is not hard to do, in fact it just copy and paste, read the instruction how to create override folder again, you can create an override folder within minute.

Once you have an override folder, activate it from admin -> template selection then start work from from there.

template page related files can be found in includes/templates/your-template-folder/template/tpl_xxxx_xxx.php

What the specific page do you want to modify?

Plugin Contributions

The two main things I want to modify as of now is:

1) I would like to display the categories and their picks in a 3 by 3 grid on the front page.

2) I would like to know how to change the order of which things like pics, price and attributes are displayed when a product is viewed.

Thanks!

Is overriding the same as creating a copy of the defualt template and selecting it?

Plugin Contributions

Overrides:
    In a crude way, yes, but the ZC system is much more elegant than that. You make folders for your custom template in certain places (basically everywhere you see a /classic/ folder) and copy only the files you want to change into those folders. That way, when you upgrade, you know that only those files need to be compared for changes.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

There is a Column Grid Layout mod, freshly updated, in the Downloads section that may do what you want. Only one category can display at a time in ZC sidebox without some fancy custom programming.

The product info page can be changed considerably by editing tpl_product_info_display.php and the stylesheet, and possibly one or two other files.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Glenn and everyone.

Most storefronts that I find templated have a 3 to 4 by 2 display of products on the front page at the bottom.. I would simple like to disply the categories and pics for the categories in the area, not in the sidebar.

I am sure I will figure it out. Is this maybe a layout setting?