Plugin Contributions

Default localhost to live copy

Hi all.

(I have seen a thread asking a similar question but have been unable to find it now I need it. Sorry.)

I have a copy of zencart running locally (windows) which I now need to push to another server (linux). I thought I could just push out the php files and tweak the configure files, then create and run a database dump and all would be OK. But when I hit the new site it insists on looking for:

http://ng100.cjdsystems.co.uk/zensho...tall/index.php

(which of course is not there as I renamed the folder).

I was under the impression that all a clean install did was create a blank database and write out the configure options. What am I missing? It is possible to roll out zencart in this way?

Cheers, D.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: localhost to live copy

Yes, you can do this.

Here's the FAQ:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p...Switch_Servers

If it's redirecting to zc_install, then it's finding unusable information in the configure.php files or they're not found.

I was under the impression that all a clean install did was create a blank database and write out the configure options.
    Yes, and after that's done, you import your "real" database into the freshly-installed one. Shouldn't be any need to change configure.php settings since they already match your site. You're just replacing the database in order to have your data. (and all your customized PHP files too except configure.php files)

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

OK. I get it. I thought I could get away without running the installer but I guess I can do that. But if I can upload the php files (with correct configure files) and create a database and populate it shouldn't I be able to get it to work without going through another 'install'?

Does 'install' do other things than write out entries in the confiure files? I thought I had a handle on all this!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I'll try to expand on what the FAQ says:

1. upload your PHP files, with or without customizations. These files should match the version you're planning to use.

2. do a so-called "fresh install" using these files, with or without demo products. This will confirm that your database details are correct, and write the configure.php settings for this server/directory/database for you.
    Keep those configure.php files.

3. Import your data.
    If the data doesn't already match the new version database structure, run zc_install again and choose the "Database-Upgrade" step to bring it up-to-date.
    If it was already up-to-date on your "other" server, this "database upgrade" step shouldn't be needed. If it's needed, you will see a warning in your store saying that the database needs upgrading.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.