Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Reality check re: SaleMaker/Specials enhancements

Tonight I spent several hours inside the intestines of the SaleMaker, hoping to form a strategy with which to
    1. Get sale_date_end and display its value with the product's sale price.
    2. Include sale products in the specials listings, e.g. beneath main_page or index.
    I quickly realized the complexity of SaleMaker would make it nearly impossible to achieve these aims -- and now I'm re-thinking this little project and would appreciate a reality-check.

Why would I tinker with Specials/SaleMaker?

I love SaleMaker's ability to simultaneously apply dated discounts to multiple products. And I love Specials' ability to display discounts beneath main_page, listings, etc -- plus, I've modified Specials to display the end date, which creates the urgency buyers need to seize the moment.

My problem?

I want the best of both worlds: ability to apply dated discounts to just one product or multiple products -- AND display those discounts beneath main_page, listings, etc with end dates.

Rather than muck around in SaleMaker with its many facets, wouldn't I be smarter to build an admin utility that enhances the Specials admin interface? This would let the admin select multiple products (checkboxes?), specify start/end dates, and specify amount-off or percentage discount -- then click the INSERT button, and voila! -- a new row is inserted into SPECIALS for each products_id selected.

Am I off my nut, or would this approach require less agony than trying to get from here to there via SaleMaker?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Salesmaker not show under Specials?

Hi All,

Just my two cents and my best solution, so far, to the best of both worlds:
    http://www.kellyscountrycorner.com/s..._page=specials
    This may not be the best, but at least it alerts your customers to other sales in your store.
    You will need to alter your modules/includes/pages/specials/main_template_vars.php. I don't know if there is an override for this or not. But if so...use it.

Thanks,
    Kelly

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Kelly. I'm puzzled, though: couldn't one achieve the same thing enabling sideboxes/specials.php in Tools / Layout Boxes Controller -- while enabling Special Products display on Main Page via Configuration / Index Listing?

Sean
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepless View Post
    You will need to alter your modules/includes/pages/specials/main_template_vars.php. I don't know if there is an override for this or not. But if so...use it.

Plugin Contributions

Hi Sean,

I'm not sure what you mean. When a customer clicks on the Specials link they are probably expecting to see all the specials/sales in my store. Unfortunately they only see individual items that I have placed on Special not other items that are currently on sale in my store. I have quite a few items discounted and unless the customer clicks on that category they won't know. So...by adding the box with the alert/notice they will see not only the individual specials but my sales as well.
    As far as the sidebox, that will also only show the individual items.

Thanks,
    Kelly

Plugin Contributions

Does your "specials" page index both salemaker products and specials products? If so, I didn't get it prior to reading your reply -- I'm not fully awake yet.

Regarding sideboxes/specials.php, isn't it possible to enable Single Column status (instead of Left/Right Column) to show more than one at a time?

I still think the way to go is enhance Admin/Catalog/Specials so one can assign a special to entire categories or subcategories simultaneously. Doing this would make Salemaker obsolete, streamlining the core Zen-Cart admin.

Now if I only had the means to modify Admin/Catalog/Specials.

Sean
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepless View Post
    Hi Sean,

I'm not sure what you mean. When a customer clicks on the Specials link they are probably expecting to see all the specials/sales in my store. Unfortunately they only see individual items that I have placed on Special not other items that are currently on sale in my store. I have quite a few items discounted and unless the customer clicks on that category they won't know. So...by adding the box with the alert/notice they will see not only the individual specials but my sales as well.
    As far as the sidebox, that will also only show the individual items.

Thanks,
    Kelly

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by tvadpro View Post
    Now if I only had the means to modify Admin/Catalog/Specials.
    My problem with this is that I'm using the normal price & 'Specials' price to display 'Recommended Retail' and 'Our price' (addons to this effect haven't been working for me ) and need the sale maker functionality as it functions, but to display on the main page. I'll have to do some fancy footwork to get this to work...hehehe

Plugin Contributions

Has anyone managed to do this? I use specials for all my discounted products (or wishing to do so) so when there is sale season everything is automatically aligned under specials.. But the sale maker is not making to the cut...

Anyone successful?

Plugin Contributions

I found a quick work around. I just changed the wording on the "specials" page to read " Specials for the Month". Then I just set my specials to go for that month only. I edited the /public_html/includes/languages/english.php file, in the NavBar_title.

Plugin Contributions

This is really something that should be built into Zen Cart. To a customer, a special and a sale product are the exactly the same thing. They should both show under the specials page or in the specials centerbox. There needs to be a central place where you can show ALL sales and ALL specials on a single page.

Plugin Contributions

Yes it would be helpful ... I have been working on something like this ... not a lot of fun ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast