Plugin Contributions

Default Upgrading from 1.2.7

I loooooove my zen cart shoppe and am pretty nervous about doing the upgrade. I have back ups of everything (on two different computers, just in case..lol).

I have done zen cart installs manually before, but the version I'm running now is a FANTASTICO install.

My question is... I would like to upgrade, but what is the best way to do it under these circumstances??

Should I jump straight to the latest version, the 1.3.5?? And will I have problems because I'm running a one-click script??

NOW.. I've never done an upgrade.. most of the time I find that with .php scripts just following instructions will get you to where you need to be, but I'm wondering if I'm going to have issues since there's been HUGE changes from the version I'm running to the version that's just been released and the fact that I’m running a Fantastico version probably won’t help much either…

Any insight would be very appreciated!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgrading from 1.2.7

I just came here with the exact same question (minus the fantasico bit).

I hope we can skip straight to the lastest version, because that's what, three fewer chances I'll have to screw up the update!

-zami

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Yes, you *should* skip directly to the latest version. No need to redo work several times.

The upgrade-instructions in the /docs folder of the downloaded zip outline the process with some tips to assist you.
    Be sure to stage your upgrade in a working area and ensure it's working properly before going "live" with the new version.
    Your best approach for upgrading the visual/template portion is to rebuild it using the new code ... it'll save you tons of trouble later.

There are many helpful posts about various upgrade tips, and I'm sure some folks will be happy to answer questions related to their experience.

I just wanted to answer your question about whether to jump directly to latest or not: Yes.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Doc!

I fear one upgrade much less then three.

-zami