Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: v1.2.6 -> v1.3.5: What a B!TCH!

I have to agree with the original poster. Most of us trudge along and barely get an older version working. We are busy running our stores and can't spend weeks upgrading our site (yes, many here could do it in a matter of hours or days but for many of us mere mortals, upgrading Zen Cart is a major pain).

In a dream world, there would be some way to just click on an "update" button in Zen Cart admin and have the process automated similar to windows update. Perhaps, it would flag certain changed files and warn the user they will be replaced. Then a user could use winmerge on just those changed files. It would also automatically create a backup of everything (files, database, etc.). Then after the update, there would be an easy way to reverse the update in case something went wrong. I realize I'm in la-la land...

Plugin Contributions

The kool thing about Zen is this,

You make almost ALL changes to template ( Non core files, )
    most modules are just that modular, and dont touch core files,

the reason for this is to make upgrading easy,

If you have used your templates, then ALL you have to winmerge is the files that you have placed in your over rides files, cause all thats there are files that you have changed........

then keep a quick list of changes to core files and winmerge them,

upgrading from 1.3.0 to 1.3.x is a breeze,

the hardship was in 1.2 to 1.3 due to the developers changing the template system to use xhtml standards which if you look at was a point of contention for quite a while,

and If you do what was suggested earlier, keep a sandbox of your store, and make the upgrades there, then just move it into place,
    depending on your connection 10 to 15 Minutes of routine maintenance to move it
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by zforrest
    Zen Cart is free. That's what is so good about it.
    While I agree with most of what you say, if you don't mind me saying so, that is possibly the worst, most spurious, pointless and just plain wrong argument to have for anything!
    Let's say I downloaded something that popped up some ######## at work, sent an email to all my colleagues saying I touch up walruses, and then wiped my hard drive.
    I then forwarded it to a friend (from a different PC obviously) and said "install this - it's really good 'cos it's free!". Not saying Zen is bad, or will do that, but something being free shouldn't be the thing that is "so good" about it.
    When's the last time osCommerce has seen an update?
    forums.oscommerce.com/index.php?showtopic=225889 3.0 a3 - 14 days ago
    Last edited by Ajeh; 15 Sep 2006 at 01:39 AM. Reason: removed hot links

Plugin Contributions

When's the last time osCommerce has seen an update?
    3.0 a3 - 14 days ago
    That was an alpha release.

The latest update (bugs and security fixes) to ms.2.2 was about a month ago: http://www.oscommerce.com/ext/update-20060817.html

(edit: oops, quotes inside quotes look a bit weird here)

Plugin Contributions

I think the over rides feature only helps partial. Of course it prevents over writing your own modified files at first, but then these modified files will not be updated either. So in the end you have to compare and merge anyway....

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by paulm
    I think the over rides feature only helps partial. Of course it prevents over writing your own modified files at first, but then these modified files will not be updated either. So in the end you have to compare and merge anyway....
    Yes, exactly! Plus, over-rides are not complete, so many mods change core files.

However, I appreciate that 1.3.5 is a HUGE step forward. I don't know what the answer to having to winmerge everything, every upgrade, would be at this stage. I don't have an answer, but what I do have is a copy of Wordpress and a Copy of gallery, and when I want to install a plugin in either, I drag ONE directory over, and activate. When I want to remove it, I delete that directory.

Now that qdixon et al have shown us the way with mod-making, I think that the next stage should probably be a mod which is ONE core file change, which then goes off to it's own seperate directory. But yes, the winmerge thing is a big time issue for me too.

But before anyone thinks I'm whinging, 1.3.5 is a BIG step forward. Now we just need to get those queries down :)

Plugin Contributions

To be honest, most of the Zen cart stores need better designs. To be even more honest, guys like me should start creating semantic, beautiful templates for zen cart users everywhere that are easy to use and well-documented. I have the knowledge. Knowing what's available in the templates download section, anything I put out would be an instantaneous hit.
    Well. I must admit I did wonder how much of that was just hot air until I took a peek at your site. But, oh boy, was I impressed. I think I might have to take back everything I said about the original woody Classic. It set me thinking about the storm over the ZC support site makeover earlier this year and the way the new template competition just died on its feet. Not that there's anything wrong with the look of the current site, but if we're talking clean, crisp elegance and minimalist Zen cool then IMHO your design says it all.
    So maybe I should get off my ###### and contribute.
    Why not? I want one like that. Bags first place in the queue

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kelvyn
    While I agree with most of what you say, if you don't mind me saying so, that is possibly the worst, most spurious, pointless and just plain wrong argument to have for anything! Let's say I downloaded something that popped up some ######## at work, sent an email to all my colleagues saying I touch up walruses, and then wiped my hard drive. I then forwarded it to a friend (from a different PC obviously) and said "install this - it's really good 'cos it's free!". Not saying Zen is bad, or will do that, but something being free shouldn't be the thing that is "so good" about it.
    Your argument is ridiculous. It's not even pertinent to the conversation. The metaphor you used is not even valid.

It's obvious that you believe Zen Cart is good software. It's obvious a lot of people believe this. You're comparing Zen Cart to a virus. Is that what you think it is?

Zen Cart should be charging for it's software. But it's under the GNU because osCommerce is under the GNU. But that doesn't mean the developers have to keep doing this. What if they decided to all quit? Yes, you have options but that doesn't mean you wouldn't be upset.

My point is that store owners [like the original poster] should stop being lazy and take the steps necessary to keep pace with the developers. That's the only way Zen Cart is going to become what you want it to be.

To Imac, thank you for the compliments.

Plugin Contributions

You're comparing Zen Cart to a virus.
    No, I was using an exagerated analogy to your statement that Zen Cart is free. That's what is so good about it.

To me, Zen Cart is like Winona Ryder - it's got a lovely front end, but problems start once you get to the checkout.*

Or like unknowingly dating a transvestite - initially it has a nice face, but once you start fiddling round the back, you realise there could be problems.**

But only insofar as the effort needed to add and edit products, and this has largely been overcome by contributions like Easypopulate, Quick Edits and Improved Attributes.

I would certainly pay for a "loaded" version, pre-installed with what are fairly basic essentials - SEO stuff, those I mentioned, etc.

*Please note[1], that is possibly the most amusing thing I have, or ever will, say.
    Remember the moment.

** Please note[2], this isn't from personal experience.

Plugin Contributions

Yes you will still have to use winmerge,

but you now only have a FEW files to compare.

If you used the over rides files CORRECTLY,

I mean if you too amd made an exact copy of template_default and renamed it,
    yea thats issues but it also inst using the system correctly,
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast