Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: v1.2.6 -> v1.3.5: What a B!TCH!

ZenCart is the best OS cart I have used and will continue to use, however....

I read the changelog and other articles and realized that 1.3.5 would significantly affect my customized 1.2.7 layout since mine was all tables and 1.3.5 is DIV formatting (the big red 'classic' attention paragraph) plus many files had been changed, moved or deleted since 1.3.0. I installed it as a test and added my template folder but when I enabled it the result was a blank page with just the page background. I am still working with it (in my spare time) to make it look the same but it is a challenge. For this reason I have to stay with 1.2.7 until I get it right.

For one. The products list display of a category no longer has alternating color background or padding. All the image ######## against each other. I was able to add padding but I have yet to figure out bgcolor alternation. I figure I will have to make new classess called .odd and .even and apply them somewhere in a file for product listing.

If I can upgrade the security functions without affecting my template then I'll be fine (any suggestions on that?). While DIVs may be the 'way to go' now, I like the simplicity of tables, plus it's what I know and can manipulate.

Anyway, I suppose the solutions are within these forums and I will take the time to sift through but I was just adding my 2cents.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by maxima
    For one. The products list display of a category no longer has alternating color background or padding. All the image ######## against each other. I was able to add padding but I have yet to figure out bgcolor alternation. I figure I will have to make new classess called .odd and .even and apply them somewhere in a file for product listing.

If I can upgrade the security functions without affecting my template then I'll be fine (any suggestions on that?). While DIVs may be the 'way to go' now, I like the simplicity of tables, plus it's what I know and can manipulate.

Anyway, I suppose the solutions are within these forums and I will take the time to sift through but I was just adding my 2cents.
    For the Product Listing page issues, it can be solved by the settings and in the css.
    please refer to the topics Product Listed to close together.
    The one above is only the more update one and there is another one in the archive for the old forum and at the first of April.

Switch to the new template is not that hard in my view.
    I can only tell, once you get and grasp the basic concepts, it just like a computer game. The more you play the more you joy. Many of the modifications can be achieved by settings in the css and it normally only take 1 or 2 minutes to make a change.

A New Starter again

Plugin Contributions

Seethrou, thanks for that link I was able to get the alternating listing.

You might have misunderstood about my dilema though
    Switch to the new template is not that hard in my view.
    I can only tell, once you get and grasp the basic concepts, it just like a computer game. The more you play the more you joy. Many of the modifications can be achieved by settings in the css and it normally only take 1 or 2 minutes to make a change.
    I know how to switch templates but the new 'tableless' template won't work with my 1.2.7 customized theme. For instance: my box headings have rounded corner images which are in table cells and the middle cell contains the box heading. That is not interpreted by the new template system. The page is in chaos. Likewise many other images and formats fall apart. I want to keep my very same customized look with the new security functions which I now realised that I will have to make the css display my theme images and formatting.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by maxima
    You might have misunderstood about my dilema though

I know how to switch templates but the new 'tableless' template won't work with my 1.2.7 customized theme. For instance: my box headings have rounded corner images which are in table cells and the middle cell contains the box heading. That is not interpreted by the new template system. The page is in chaos. Likewise many other images and formats fall apart. I want to keep my very same customized look with the new security functions which I now realised that I will have to make the css display my theme images and formatting.
    May be I don't understand all your mean.

Mind you, I also have troubles in the codes for I am not a expert.
    And for the codes I know of the css, html, php and mySql can be counted by two hands or two feet.

What I do are as I said above, grasp the basic concepts first, it is important.
    Or it may means, I don't care anythings of codes, syntax, programs, format ...
    I just need to know what are the real problems I am dealing of.
    Then find the right tools and methods to solve them one by one.

If you prefer technical terms, the above may call Black Box theory.
    By it, usually there are only input and output. For the middle are don't care,
    for there are many ways to solve a problem.
    And the most important is the Output.

It just like in physical store, you can't know of and do everything by yourself.
    In this case, you need some right persons, tools, and ways ... to help.
    But at the first you must know what are the real problems you are facing of.
    Then find the correct ways to solve the problems, instead of fall back or ignore it.

The more problems you solved and then you will turn to natural reaction mode.
    And don't have to spend time or even don't need to think about it.

A New Starter again

Plugin Contributions

Perhaps someone could provide information as to how much of a security risk a store owner is running using 1.2.7 if all the recommendations are applied including renaming the admin folder, changing permissions on html_includes etc as described elsewhere?
    In case this was missed - it would be helpful to know how significant a risk anyone using 1.2.7 with all security recommendations applied is running.

Plugin Contributions

I'm not sure how anyone would quantify the "significance" of the risk. There are known ways to break a 1.27 cart. Google around and you'll find them. How significant is this risk? Well, it depends on whether you're luckless enough to have some jerk stumble upon your site and test it for the 1.27 vulnerabilities.

As soon as information gets out about a vulnerability, you are vulnerable - and not just to serious hackers, but to every script kiddie who copies and pastes things he reads on hacker websites. I wish it wasn't this way, but it is.

Scott
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

maxima, some suggestions on doing rounded corners in css are listed here:
    http://www.smileycat.com/miaow/archives/000044.html

Posted by kuroi in the following thread:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showth...ounded+corners

But personally, I'm waiting for CSS 3 and the border-radius property (LOL like *that's* ever going to work in IE!)

Good luck,
    Scott

Plugin Contributions

swguy - I have googled but haven't found anything which suggests 1.2.7 is especially vulnerable. Earlier versions yes - but most information I found suggests that 1.2.7 was purely a security update to address earlier known issues.

Perhaps Kim, Linda or Dr B could comment...

Plugin Contributions

Plugin Contributions

Re: v1.2.6 -> v1.3.5: What a B!TCH!

I would like to see a update button in the admin that updates the software for you. The FACT remains that updating Zen Cart is a complex and time consuming project.

I believe I have 1.2.x but not sure because I can't find the version number in the admin or on the site. How can you tell what version you have.

And finally, are there any "certified" Zen Cart techs that are for hire to upgrade a Zen Cart. Frankly I don't have the time or the knowledge to take it from 1.2.?? to the new version and am willing to hire someone to do it for me if there is someone who is QUALIFIED. This is on a customers site and I can't afford down time.

I suppose I could just reinstall the new version into another directory with another database and attempt to restore the old database files to it.

Very complex updates. How about an auto updater like so many other server side software programs have?

Thanks,
    Mark

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast