Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: v1.2.6 -> v1.3.5: What a B!TCH!

I completed my conversion to 1.3.7.1, and it gave me fits! The database was the most difficult thing ... the conversion did not go as documented.

After I finally was able to restore the database to the new system, the automatic upgrade scripts were very convenient, and I thank the zen cart team for the work they did on that.

If I can ever get comfortable with backing up and restoring the database, I think I'll be fine.
    Thanks,
    Ray

Plugin Contributions

Ray, you are in good company. I had a virtually impossible time getting the database upgrade to work. It finally came down to a DrByte suggestion of fixing the database prefix code in an obscure file that finally enabled the upgrade to proceed. Although all the errors that I got during the conversion freaked me out... especially the "reassurance" that the errors could likely be ignored. Sure they can... that makes be feel real secure.

I do thank the support team for giving the suggestion that ultimately got me up and running. I just wish the process could be more straightforward somehow.

I must take some blame for waiting so long to upgrade my 1.2 installation. My bad.

Plugin Contributions

l just updated one of my clients sites from version 1.26 to 1.38 with absolutely no trouble at all. l've kept up to date with new releases on most stores (use a new release as it comes out, and upgrade where requested on older clients.) This particular client didn't want to change until l really put the pressure on. l guess because of keeping relatively up to date though l was fairly used to the newer css template changes.

l'm just a graphic designer with very minimal knowledge of php and how it works, and l managed the upgrade in under 2 hours, as well as updating her graphics for the new store. Reapplying the template took a little bit longer but not too much, l think that you've probably gone about it the wrong way, and as a result it's not really fair to get on here and complain. (original poster)

l kept the old store completely intact (it is still being used while we test the new one & add some newer products), just copied the database, uploaded the new zen files to a new folder on the server, dumped the old database, ran the upgrade, and voila, it was done. She now has two stores while we fix up a few things (just basic checks), but l don't even use the template override system, (norty, l know!) and l had no probs at all. Just wanted to put my 2 bobs worth in and say l LOVE zencart and recommend it to all new clients, l refuse to use any other shopping cart.

Originally, yes, l hated the changes (css did my head in LOL) but l think you have to move with the times and be accepting of changes, l now realise that l just have to make the effort to keep up and not stick my head in the sand.
    Last edited by scrapgabbie; 21 Dec 2007 at 03:20 AM.

Plugin Contributions

ps. Ray, l was just going to offer to upgrade your store for you free of charge, but l read the rest of the thread and see that you've managed it. PM me if you would like any help.

:-)

(broken foot here and bored silly LOL)

Plugin Contributions

scrapgabbie -- Thanks for the offer, but I think I have it down, now. I just think the instructions could be a little clearer for those who are new to this. It's easy to forget that those who don't use the system often do not comprehend things as fast as those who use it on a daily basis.

I had the same problem when I tried to explain binary to my wife. I had no idea she didn't know the difference between base 10 and base 2 ... in fact, she had no idea what "base 10" was. I was doomed from the start!

As your graphic design background is different than PHP, mine is OS mainframes.

The problem I had upgrading was the new system (different hardware) wouldn't read the database backup from the old one, even though the backup/restore program was the same. I had to use Notepad to insert some carriage returns, and then it worked fine. It was very simple -- after I found someone who knew what was happening!

I can certainly say I learned a lot, and I think the next upgrade will go better. If not, I'll take you up on your generous PM offer.

Sorry about your broken foot! Did you try to teach someone binary, too?
    Last edited by rayw1679; 21 Dec 2007 at 04:58 AM.
    Thanks,
    Ray

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456