Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Would like to start selling wine on my website...

But this has age and location restrictions. For instance, only certain states may have wine delivered by mail or UPS and of course the buyer must be 21 and sign for it.

I am not really sure on even where to start to try and get this going. Is there a way to have people from certain areas restricted from buying a certain product? And can we make only people who put the wine in their cart check off a 'terms of service' that gives them a little info (ex "By checking this box you are aware that someone 21 years of age or older must sign for this package upon delivery) or whatever.

Let me know what you guys think :)

-Chris

www.everythinglebanon.com/index.php

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Would like to start selling wine on my website...

This thread tells you how to restrict the areas from which people can purchase from you.

Admin > Configuration > Regulations > Confirm Terms and Conditions During Checkout Procedure allows you to insist that buyers explicitly accept your terms and conditions before checking out.

includes/languages/english/checkout_payment.php has a constant TEXT_CONDITIONS_CONFIRM that you could amend to draw extra attantion to age and state restructions at the time that the customer is ticking the box accepting your terms and conditions.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

thanks kuroi

i will check it out!

-Chris

Plugin Contributions

Actually kuroi,

I dont think this answers it. I would basically only like to limit certain customers for certain products throughout the u.s. But i dont want to limit any customers for other products. Let me give you an example:

Lets assume that Internet Wine Sales are prohibited in Florida for this example.

Customer 1 lives in Florida and has avoided reading any terms of service and has added a Wine(alcoholic) product and also a Non-alcoholic(t-shirt or some other product) to their shopping cart.

During the checkout process customer 1 should come across some type of an error telling them that the wine must be removed from the cart in order to continue with the check-out process.

Customer 2 lives in Michigan and therefore would not see any kind of an error when adding a wine product to their cart.

Is there anything that can dictate this type of command?

much appreciated
    -Chris

p.s. I think this may be something that the devs could answer such as Dr. Byte or Ajeh... but if anyone knows the answer please dont hesitate to post a response! And kuroi thanks for your reply but i just dont think its what i was looking for.

Plugin Contributions

Your assessment is correct. My suggestion would apply to all products and therefore not be suitable for your needs.

There is not a way of achieving what you want with base Zen Cart. You would need to add custom code to modules/pages/checkout_shipping/header.php to review the contents of the cart (against a list of products - or more likely - categories) and states and add a flag to be picked up by templates/tpl_checkout_shipping.php to display text and some sort of tickbox to acknowledge age.

Back to modules/pages/checkout_shipping/header.php to validate the tickbox before moving on. Also some code somewhere (one of 4 possible files) to handle the case where a customer changes the shipping address.

A change to your database to record that the customer told you they were 21 (for when law enforcement comes knocking on your door) plus changes to classes/order.php to handle this additonal data item as well as confirming it on the invoice/packing slip.

Finally (probably) a change to admin/orders.php so that you can show the man with the badge that you have a record of the age box being ticked without needed to introduce him (or her) to phpMyAdmin.

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

wowa wee wa (i was simply going to put 'wow' but that is too short for a reply)

so.. wow.. thats alot to swallow!!

have you (or anyone else for that matter) seen that done before?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by christayah
    have you (or anyone else for that matter) seen that done before?
    I've recently popped a drop down menu on the checkout_payment page to record extra info for a client, record it as part of the order and then reflect it across the system and the paperwork and there's a post somewhere where absolute describes doing something similar - so it's not hypothetical

Plugin Contributions

christayah,
    Butting in here with only one alternative.

You can create groups in Zen Cart, and for illustration here this might be the "Wine Buying Group"; acceptance to the group can be manual, where you would perform some type of check as to age, state etc. or though coding to perform checks automatically.

The group would be the only ones to see/purchase the wine items, and there could also be a way to showcase the wine items but limit the purchase to only group members.

Just food for thought.
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kobra
    christayah,
    Butting in here with only one alternative.

You can create groups in Zen Cart, and for illustration here this might be the "Wine Buying Group"; acceptance to the group can be manual, where you would perform some type of check as to age, state etc. or though coding to perform checks automatically.

The group would be the only ones to see/purchase the wine items, and there could also be a way to showcase the wine items but limit the purchase to only group members.

Just food for thought.

Kobra! my eyes lit up bigger and bigger while reading your reply!

how can this be done? It would be great to have this (if i understood you correctly, this could possibly be the answer to what i need)

Thanks
    -Chris

Plugin Contributions

To evaluate this for applicability to your intended use, start in the admin > modules > order total > Group Discount > install > edit options if required.
    Admin > customers > group pricing > insert > name group & set discount to "0"

Create some test customers with differing locales for testing, add some to the group
    Admin > customers > select one > find options & Discount Pricing Group > select dropdown and the group > update

This gets you started. Now depending upon how you want these wine products to be presented, you might have to edit some code to obtain the desired functionality.
    Start with this thread for hints:Hiding products
    And proceed from there, if you do not want them hidden but just restricted for purchase, edits to files other than the ones to hide would be required.
    This is the bane and the beauty of the Open Source.
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast