Plugin Contributions

Default Any Easy way to change from product info to product music?

I am in the process of doing a new intall of v1.35 and will be importing data from a v1.27d store. In the transition, we want to change how most of the products are listed. They are all currently using the tpl_product_info_display.php template to using the tpl_product_music_info_display.php template for all the music products which is 95% of what it carries.

Is there an easy way to do this other than manually relisting everything again?

thank you,

Betty

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Any Easy way to change from product info to product music?

Due to the database changes and relationships ... unfortunately no ...

You could work through on a test site all the changes needed and how to apply them, and them update your database tables via a script to build them properly ...

But ... I would only try this on a test site and I would practice the conversion many many times before attempting it on a real database and then I would only do it to a copy of a real database and test it really really good ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Due to the database changes and relationships ... unfortunately no ...
    I suppose exchanging template names is out of the question also?

ok...ok...I'll do it for you

thank you for the info. Time for that spoiled only child pouty lip to start forming......;)

betty

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You can safely create a new template with a new name, and use that on your new site. That doesn't affect product-type functionality. Granted, the changes you make in one template may need to be also made similarly in your other template.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for the info Dr. Byte-

Would I still have to re-enter each item to take advantage of the new template? Also how would new items being entered know to automatically use this template? Is it something I would change in the db?

I already use the template overrides system in every store I install, so I know where to physically put the new template, it's how to make it the default if it has a different name, etc. that I don't understand.

thank you,

betty