Plugin Contributions

upgrade without using fantastico

Hi.

OK. Here goes. Ive been putting off the upgrade from 1.3.02 to 1.3.5 for some time now. I really am concerned I will muck it all up. I backed my database up and followed the instructions to create a zen-original and zen_new folder and compared files via Winmerge. Nearly every file is different and I am totally frustrated. I simply havent got the time to compare every file and change some lines of coding. (Im not expereinced enough to do this). Like a fool, I cannot remember if I installed originally via Fantatico or not, although I cannot remember having a demo admin section as I have read about in some threads.

My question is this:-
    Could I uninstall Zen 1.3.02, and then do a fresh install with 1.3.5 and then upload my old database and overide files from my original version?

If so, is there anyone kind enough to detail me how to do this?

My host is Wesh.co.uk
    I am running php 5.0.5 on Windows XP Pro.
    I have access to phpadmin, Winmerge, TopstyleLite.

I really dont want to attempt an upgrade then spend weeks pestering everyone in these threads because Ive mucked up. I am slowly starting to get some visitors already and dont want to be 'down' for ages just as this happens. I would love to have the upgrade because of the security fixes, and Zen is such a great product.

A scared Zen fan.
    Chris

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: upgrade without using fantastico

The only files you need to compare are the files *you* have changed, everything else can be uploaded and overwrite the originals.

Plugin Contributions

Hi.

Sorry Kim, I know Im a bit slow....

Are you saying I can directly load all the new scripts from 1.3.5 onto my server via FTP and then add my overide files after?

I thought I was fairly computer literate until now!

Chris

Plugin Contributions

ok i tried doing this. actually i tried multiple things multiple times.

After backing up my 1.3.0.2 fileset and database, I ran zc_install and UPGRADED my database, then I deleted all my files and uploaded the 1.3.5 files. (I've also tried just uploading the 1.3.5 files and overriding my 1.3.0.2 files.) I ran the install for this and everything went smoothly since I didn't uninstall using fantastico (this would have deleted the database.)

So I go to my website, change the template that it is using... that works. What is NOT working is my database. It is not showing up, although it IS showing up in phpmyadmin.

What do I do?