Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Attributes HOW-TO

Ok, I am sorry that I am posting another thread here! I feel like such a pain.

Ok, well I can't wrap my head around the attributes option. I did read "attributes instructions" in another thread but I didn't quite follow or at least when I tried it, it didnt work.

Now I have several items that have different options such as, size, frangrance, colour.. etc but for now I am working on the items that have sizes. (they are all the same price)

I went to catalog/product attributes and entered "size" in the en: field, left the option type at 'select' and inserted.
    Then I went to the lower bar and added Small, Medium, Large, X-large all in one line. Went to attributes controller and was able to assign the product to the attributes but when I previewed, only a radio button with the option Small, Medium, Large, X-large in one line showed up. So I tried again with inserting the sizes seperately under different ID's and that didn't work either. I had an error that said attributes didnt match... or something.

Halp! lol

Irina
    <span style=\'color:green\'>&quot;And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb&quot;</span>

Plugin Contributions

Does anyone know of a tutorial or more clear instructions on this?
    <span style=\'color:green\'>&quot;And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb&quot;</span>

Plugin Contributions

There are a number of threads on this but let me see if I can break it down for you.

There are 3 parts to attributes:

Option Name
    Option Value
    Attribute on the product

Defining Option Names:
    Catalog ... Option Name Manager

Example:

Color

Order (This is the sort order the Option Name displays on the screen)

Select an Option Type:
    Dropdown (note when only 1 option value this will automatically be switched to a Radio Button and later when more than one value it will automatically switch to the dropdown)

Radio Button

Checkbox

TEXT (this does not get an Option Value)

FILE (This does not get an Option Value)

READONLY (this is for display purposes only and is not part of a calculation nor does it appear on the order. It is more or less an informational attribute that can be used with 1 to many products and then changed once to change on all products)

On some Option Names, based on the Type ... there are more settings if you Edit the Option Name

For Option Type TEXT:

Comments
    Max Display Size (size of input box on screen)
    Max Length (max number of characters/spaces)

For Option Type Radio buttons and checkboxes:
    There are choices of image layout

Defining Option Values

Catalog ... Option Value Manager

Pick the Option Name
    Give a Name like Red
    Give a default Sort Order

The sort order is used if you want to globably sort your Option Values to match otherwise you can set these manually per product or later update a product, category or whole store.

Attributes Controller

Note: if you plan on using downloads, be sure you have configured your Attribute Settings

I recommend:

Set Redirect on
    chmod /pub to 777
    files are uploaded to /downloads
    files should be zipped and not use spaces and special characters nor extra periods
    set the max downloads
    set the max number days to get the download

And after a commercial break ... there will be defining the attributes per product ... B)
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Now ... you should have made several Option Names like ...

Color
    Size
    etc.

And then set the Option Values for these like:
    Red
    Orange
    Yellow
    Green
    Blue
    Purple
    Brown
    Black
    White

Small
    Medium
    Large
    X-Large
    X-Small

Using the Default Sort Order on these values will help you later in getting them into a nice display on the pages.

So now to add them to the products.

This is done via the Attributes Controller

You can look up a product in a couple ways ...

Either pick a Category or a Product

When you pick a category, the ones with a * have products in them and this will display the first product Previous/Next

When you pick a product hit display ... this sets the category to this products master category id ... so you can now use the Previous/Next if you like

Once the Product is displayed that you want to add attributes to ... go to the Add Attributes box

The Product Name should already be selected

Now select the Option Name

Next select a matching Option Value, notice they say what kind of Option Type you have selected

You will notice the Option Values say their names and next to them the Option Name that they match to.

Depending on what you want to do with attributes there are several methods to price, add weight, sort order, and mark the type of attribute this is.

Price can be entered with a prefix of + or - or blank

+ and blank will add the attribute price
    - will subtract the attribute price

Weight can be entered optionally if it effects the product weight with a prefix of + or - or blank

+ and blank will add the attribute weight
    - will subtract the attribute weight

There are other pricing options also available besides the standard prices.

One Time Charge
    Price Factor
    One Time Charge Price Factor
    Attirbute Qty Price
    One Time Attribute Qty Price

For TEXT
    Price per word and free words
    Price per letter and free letters

Then there are the Attrinbute Flags in the colored boxes.

These are used to help distinquish other features of the attribute such as:

Use for display only (attribute cannot be selected and added to cart. Good for things like "Select from Below" to force the customer to make their own choice and not just hit Add to Cart and get a pink snail instead of a blue snail :)

Attribute is Free when product is Free (Some products you may set to Free ... but the some attributes are free and some attriutes cost money)

Default Attribute (Should be used especially on Radio buttons, or if you have an attribute you prefer the customer selects.)

Apply Discounts used by Product Sale/Special (this will apply the same type of discount that the product is getting from the products_price vs the special or sale price)

Include in Base Price (when products are priced by attributes mark the attributes include in base price then the lowest price in each Option Name group are added together to make up the product price. NOTE: when not the product is not marked priced by attribute this setting has no effect on the price)

Attribute Required for TEXT (Some text is required text and cannot be left blank by the customer)

Be sure to hit Add to add the newly defined Attribute

You can always edit or delete them

When done ... you can update the sort orders for the product to the Option Value sort order by pressing the button at the top of the page.
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

<mark /> Guest

Thanks Ajeh, this post helps a lot.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you&#33;
    &quot;Fascinating.&quot;
    ~Spock~

Plugin Contributions

Well, I&#39;m glad I&#39;m not the only one but sad that so many others have the same problem, that means it&#39;s really hard to do ::frust

Is a "radio button" the small circle that when clicked turn green? It would be so much easier if we knew what things mean or at least what they mean to the person that created it.

Sorry guys I can&#39;t help, I need help myself. I&#39;ve bee trying this for 3 days and my headis about to explode. Need a break&#33;&#33;

So much for the free month trial i got from my hosting company, it&#39;ll take me that long to get it going&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; ::tdn

Plugin Contributions

A radio button when on the screen is the white circle with the black dot when selected.

A dropdown is a list of options with the arrow on the right to select from the list.

A checkbox is a square box that you can check/uncheck

When a dropdown is the Product Option Name Type ... but there is only 1 choice ... it switches from a dropdown to a selected radio button ... the white circle will have a black center as there is no other choice.

But, if you add another Option Value to this Option Name, then it will go back to being the dropdown as there is now a choice for the customer to make.

The Green/Red/Yellow/etc. colors are just flags or indicators of various settings such as Status being on/off or warnings, cautions or good indicators.

Like if you set a download filename and spell it wrong, you will see a red icon (red circle) next to the name ... if you spell the name right, then the green icon will be next to the name.
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

There are a couple of things you do need to know ahead of time.

Radio buttons are the little round circles that when clicked are filled. You can only choose 1 radio button in a group.

Checkboxes are the little squares. They get a check when you click on them. You can check more than one in a group
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Baffled and Befuzzled.

I&#39;m trying to have a product that has a base price Say &#036;29.95
    a discount of 40% making it &#036;17.97 and
    a discount of 45% making it &#036;46.47.

The only way I&#39;ve been able to get this to work, even remotly, is to set the products Attribute price at -29.95 and the price factor at .6 for 40% off and .55 for 45% off.

Is there a way to set the price factor to a negative number?

Am I way off base on how I&#39;m using the pricing of the attributes?

Thanks&#33;&#33;
    Common sense tells us that the world is flat.

Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast