Having a bit of an issue with a freshly-installed Zen Cart (newest version). Haven't touched anything except the requisite path definitions; tried searching and found nothing of use.

Speaking of versioning, is there anywhere I can discern the current version? It appears nowhere I can find in the ACP or otherwise. I just know the ACP is telling me it looks to be current.

Now, to the main problems.

Whenever I try to register or checkout (this is off the default catalogue, mind you), I get nothing but a big, blank page in Opera; unsure of what Firefox or IE do and I am unable to test said browsers, but Lynx chokes the same, so I bet Firefox and IE will as well.

The actions in particular which result in no page being displayed are create_account and checkout_process. What's odd is the actions do actually go through, but with no user confirmation this is not relevant.

Has anyone any insight into why these fail? Everything under /zc (where I have the cart) is 640 (files) or 750 (directories). Also, the main page is perpetually whining about my configuration file being writable--why? How is it a problem worth whining about when the file owner can write and no other (beyond root, of course)?

Thanks for any help. Again, this is a fresh install, and I cannot see why it is breaking.