Plugin Contributions

Default Display only one featured product...

I have currently enabled Featured Products on my homepage. I've set 10 products as featured, but would only like one featured product to be displayed at a time (to create a random featured product effect).

I know from that admin that I can specify the number of featured products per row, but I cannot set the number of featured products to display.

Does anyone know of an easy hack I could use here?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Display only one featured product...

Admin> Configuration> Maximums> Maximum Display of Featured Products - Main Page - change to one
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

If you do this is there any way to get a full-size image of that one product? I would love to be able to have just one or two or three featured items listed on the home page (drawn randomly from my list of featured items) and then have those items have a full-size image on them. Is this possible?

-ajcannon

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ajcannon View Post
    If you do this is there any way to get a full-size image of that one product? I would love to be able to have just one or two or three featured items listed on the home page (drawn randomly from my list of featured items) and then have those items have a full-size image on them. Is this possible?

-ajcannon
    I'm also looking to achieve this.

At the moment I'm playing around with the code and will post back with my results. :)

Plugin Contributions

Thanks and please let me know if you do achieve this. I'd be glad to help you if you can maybe get me pointed in the right direction...I wouldn't even know where to being.

-ajcannon

Plugin Contributions

any update on this? I will try to mess around with it over the weekend if I get a chance, but I didn't want to be doing things that you had already done if you were going to release them publicly. Have a great weekend.

-ajcannon

Plugin Contributions

This is what I've done so far...

1 - Set around 5 products as 'featured' from admin
    2 - Set the maxium featured products to be displayed on the main page as 1 (Admin | Configuration | Maximum Values | Maximum Display of Featured Products - Main Page)

Now I 'think' you need to copy featured_products.php (from includes/modules) to your override folder and edit it.

However, I'm not sure if this will affect the display of featured products on all other pages (category pages and so on). If it does (and you don't want it to), you'll need to create a featured_products2.php and then create copies of all other files it uses and changed a little bit of code around.

Now... maybe there is a much easier way of doing all this. If anyone can think of a better way please let us know. Thanks! :)

Plugin Contributions

Alex,

Thanks SO MUCH for your help. This is what I have done...I followed your directions exactly but I didn't actually edit anything in the featured_products.php page. What I did was go into admin --> configuration --> images and change Image - Featured Products Width to 300 and the Image - Featured Products Height to 240. This gave me the desired effect that I was looking for. You can check it out at www.shoptomlinsons.com. Thanks again.

-ajcannon

Plugin Contributions

Glad it's all working.

I'm going for a similar effect, but will be editing the code so that a little bit of the product description, average rating, and maybe a review extract are displayed next to the image.

If I create anything juicy I'll post it here! :)

Plugin Contributions

Hey, actually, I would love to have at least some of the description listed below the picture also...so if you figure out how to do that please let me know. Thanks!

-ajcannon