Plugin Contributions

Selecting which products are new for the current month

Hi,

I'm starting to build a new site so i'm in the process of uploading all of my images to the server with the "create new product" button.

But all of those product arent necessarily good to fit in the "New for the current month" centerbox.

I want to be able to select only the pertinent products to be shown in this "New for the current month" centerbox.

How do i do that?

Thanks for the help.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Selecting which products are new for the current month

The "new" status is based on the date the product was added to your catalog.

To change that info, you would have to get your hands dirty with raw database editing for each individual product ... the "products_date_added" field in the "products" table.

https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=3

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

mmm, i was anticipating it.

Thanks doc. I suddenly have another plan to get to what i want. I'll try and then i'll post back.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    The "new" status is based on the date the product was added to your catalog.

To change that info, you would have to get your hands dirty with raw database editing for each individual product ... the "products_date_added" field in the "products" table.
    I cannot believe that this fundamental function cannot be done through a module or a control panel. This is a shining example of why ZenCart is NOT user friendly. Furthermore, your remedy of where this database editing is done is vague. How about taking the time to carefully walk us through how and where it is done? As it stands, the new products displayed for a month appears to be a random selection that is based on questionable criteria. Why would one older item continue to show as new, when newer items do not display? Has no one found an easy remedy for this oversight in thoughtless engineering?

Plugin Contributions

So you had to find a 4 year old post to express your displeasure?

We are happy you joined us.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Did you try to use the built in settings for defining what New Products are in the Configuration ... Maximum Values ...
    New Product Listing - Limited to ...
    Limit the New Product Listing to
    0= All Products
    1= Current Month
    7= 7 Days
    14= 14 Days
    30= 30 Days
    60= 60 Days
    90= 90 Days
    120= 120 Days
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

So, this issue has remained unresolved for four years? Immagine the "displeasure" of the original person posting their call for help.

The New Product Listing, when expdanded (to 30 days for example), often chooses older products first; disregarding newer entries. I wish to select specific items whether older or new that are featured as "New for Month". This does not work for me.

Is there a thread that describes clearly how to "get my hands dirty" editing the "raw database?

Plugin Contributions

If you want to pick and choose then rename the featured products display and go to town.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

thanks Ajeh, for the maximum values info - I needed to get older products off my New Products section and would never have found it!!

Plugin Contributions

You are most welcome thanks for the update that this helped you out ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!