Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Plugin Contributions

Default Optional Shipping Insurance Module [Support Thread]

https://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=232

I've delayed putting this back up forever, but I can confirm this works with 1.3.6. This will be in the download section soon.

What this mod does:

This module allows shipping insurance to be charged in three ways. You can either choose standard USPS rates, a percentage of the subtotal, or by an incremental rate of your choosing. It calculates US, Canadian, and then international rates. It limits canadian to $8.60 or orders up to $675 (USPS Canadian shipping indemnity limit). This module WILL NOT add insurance to virtual items or gift certificates.

Please post any issues or questions here!

Plugin Contributions

Default WHOA! This is exactly what a lot of people have been looking for!!!

I don't need this for insurance, but by changing the label, I can use this to allow people to choose a delivery confirmation add on for $2 at checkout. All I do is set it to a flat amount of $2 per increment and make the increment a super high dollar amount so it's never more than $2.

Then I go into one of the files (english/modules/order_total/***.php) and change the jive about insurance to read "Check this for Delivery Confirmation..."

My point is people all over this board are looking for a way to charge a fee during checkout for an added service - be it gift wrapping (per product is too cumbersome for some) or what I included. There is one mod for such an add on but it didn't work for me, is unsupported and far too complicated.

Woo Hoo!

Chris

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: WHOA! This is exactly what a lot of people have been looking for!!!

Quote Originally Posted by plumloopy View Post
    I don't need this for insurance, but by changing the label, I can use this to allow people to choose a delivery confirmation add on for $2 at checkout. All I do is set it to a flat amount of $2 per increment and make the increment a super high dollar amount so it's never more than $2.

Then I go into one of the files (english/modules/order_total/***.php) and change the jive about insurance to read "Check this for Delivery Confirmation..."

My point is people all over this board are looking for a way to charge a fee during checkout for an added service - be it gift wrapping (per product is too cumbersome for some) or what I included. There is one mod for such an add on but it didn't work for me, is unsupported and far too complicated.

Woo Hoo!

Chris
    Hello Plumloopy,
    Did you use this suggestion that you made? If so, do you think I could follow your suggestion of creating a Delivery Confirmation version of the .php file, in conjunction with using the mod as it was intended, so that we can:

1) charge a $0.75 Delivery Confirmation charge only for USPS Parcel Post (since it costs extra for this option), and
    2) offer the option of adding shipping insurance to orders, and
    3) make shipping insurance mandatory n orders over a certain amount?

Thanks in advance to Plumloopy and anyone else who can weigh in!

Denise

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Optional Shipping Insurance Module Support Thread...

Great Mod, but it seems to be a bit wonky with how it is handling tax.
    I am testing on a fresh install of 1.3.8a using 3.13 of this mod.
    Instead of adding the tax to the tax line it adds it to it's self in the insurance line?
    My tax rate is set at 9%. and Insurance is set at $5.00 and shipping is taxed.

Sub-Total: $110.00
    Flat Rate (Best Way): $5.00
    Shipping Insurance: $5.45
    WA Sales Tax: $10.35
    Total: $130.80

If I set Display Prices with Tax to true it adds the the tax to it's self twice.

Sub-Total: $110.00
    Flat Rate (Best Way): $5.00
    Shipping Insurance: $5.90
    WA Sales Tax: $10.35
    Total: $130.80

The math for the total is correct for either situation. $120.00 x .09 = $10.80 so the total $130.80 in either calculation is correct.

Thanks,
    Jim

Plugin Contributions

Comparing this module to the COD Fee module I see that it hasn't been scripted to display tax in the same way other order total modules do. No $order->info['tax_groups'][$tax_description] line is present so it appears to have gone rouge in the way it handles taxes.

I will look into re-scripting it to get working like the others unless someone wants to beat me to it. My PHP is just barely past....
    PHP Code:
    echo Hello Universe
    Jim

Plugin Contributions

Wow three posts in a row.
    So it I discovered version 3.15 (not currently in the downloads) which addresses how the mod handles tax but with a bug. Changing the tax class to none will still charge tax, not a problem for me but still a bug.

Version 3.13 and 3.15 do not work if Use Table Rates? is set to false unless you pick a zone. This would explain why the shipping insurance isn't showing up for some users. But it did not work when I created a zone for all countries and all zones and picked it.

When using the Alternate Insurance Type set to amount it is including the shipping cost in the calculation but it does not when the Alternate Insurance Type is set to percent.

Now this one is strange, when the Alternate Insurance Type set to amount not only does it include the shipping amount for calculating the insurance it adds the Increment Amount one more time than it should. This also does not occur when the Alternate Insurance Type is set to percent.

One other strange bug with version 3.13, while examining the Alternate Insurance Type set to amount issue, if I setup flat shipping for $0.00 we get some very strange output as you can see here, tax is set to 9% and shipping insurance is set at $1.00 for every $10.00.

Sub-Total: $100.00
    Flat Rate (Best Way): $0.00
    Shipping Insurance: $10.09
    WA Sales Tax: $9.00
    Total: $119.90

Jim
    Last edited by maitaijim; 6 Nov 2008 at 07:59 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Okay, I have an idea, but since I don't know php, I'm not exactly sure how to impliment it. Our customers can choose between USPS and UPS shipping. What I would like to do is offer them shipping insurance based on which shipping option they choose. So, my thought is to have 2 ot_insurance.php files. one would be called ot_uspsinsurance.php and the other would be ot_upsinsurance.php. The USPS one would be set to calculate the USPS insurance rates. While the UPS one would be set to increment. Now, my question is, how can I get it to call the right insurance file based on the shipping option that the customer chooses. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Melissa
    http://store.equineshop.biz

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by saddlebred View Post
    Okay, I have an idea, but since I don't know php, I'm not exactly sure how to impliment it. Our customers can choose between USPS and UPS shipping. What I would like to do is offer them shipping insurance based on which shipping option they choose. So, my thought is to have 2 ot_insurance.php files. one would be called ot_uspsinsurance.php and the other would be ot_upsinsurance.php. The USPS one would be set to calculate the USPS insurance rates. While the UPS one would be set to increment. Now, my question is, how can I get it to call the right insurance file based on the shipping option that the customer chooses. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Melissa
    http://store.equineshop.biz
    Sorry, I don't have any ideas on that, but if you have both offered during checkout, one titled USPS insurance, one titled UPS insurance, then the customer has to choose one or the other. Not perfect, but I think doable.

Plugin Contributions

Hello,

I was wondering if it was possible to move this module to the shipping screen (where the customer selects the shipping method). If so, how would i go about doing that?

Thanks

-Andrew

Plugin Contributions

red flag Re: Optional Shipping Insurance Module Support Thread...

Is there a place where I can go and insert the new USPS insurance costs? They went up in May and the mod doesn't reflect those price changes.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast