Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Calendar Dropdown on shipping page

Hey all. I have been trying to figure this out for a few days now around other projects. Basically, we want to change the first step of the checkout page (step 1 of 3) by adding in a javascript calendar, used by customers to pick a delivery date (this is becuase our customer is selling flowers, and would like a delivery date option to allow for birthday gifts etc to be ordered in advance but delivered on a specific date). Would this be alot of work? obviously the value would need tow rite into a table in the database so the administrator could view it in the backend with the order details.

This is an 'optional' addition to our clients zen cart store at the moment, but we beleive it would be a decent mod for anyone with time sensitive prioducts such as flowers.

Hope someone can help with this

TIA

John

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Calendar Dropdown on shipping page

It would certainly require custom coding, both to collect and store the data, as well as manage in from the admin side.

I'd likely suggest that it be done as part of the checkout process, rather than as a dedicated shipping module; however, it may be beneficial to combine the data into a shipping module for calculating quotes if said module may retrieve rates that are time-sensitive or fluctuate from day to day.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Agreed... this would be a great mod for zencart and I'm sure would be popular with zencart users. Before anyone tackles it, it would be prudent to look not only at the technicalities, but also at the physical logistics... By this I mean examine the intended operational (on the ground) outcomes that such a feature is being designed to serve. There are a lot of permutations here...

Booking a shipping slot is now a common feature on big retail sites (I'm thinking from a UK perspective) such as TESCO.CO.UK. Looking at how this feature works would be a good guide to developers.

I'd also be keen to see a mod that allows for a product to be HIRED as well as PURCHASED. If a customer chooses to HIRE, then a different price is displayed, and a hire period (set of dates) is stipulated through popup calendars. I looked at doing this via attributes (which is possible), but it becomes very clunky when a customer needs to hire several items (party hat, witch's costume, broom, wig, etc, etc !).

Any ideas here?
    18 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

I have just developed a 'Delivery Date Picker' mod that allows the customer to choose a delivery date on Step 1 of the checkout process using a popup calendar by Calendarxp.net

The mod is totally customizable with the following features....
    • Calendar colors can be changed to match site colors
    • All past dates are automatically disabled from being chosen
    • Any single or recurring date can be automatically disabled from being chosen
    • Conditional rules can be used to disable dates from being chosen. Such as, date or time that the date was chosen. This can be useful if you had a cutoff time for next day delivery.
    • The date field is not writtable directly. This prevents the customer from entering in a date that is not acceptable for delivery.
    • Validation is used so that the customer cannot continue with the order unless they have chosen an availale date from the popup calendar.
    • The chosen delivery date is incorporated into the order emails for both customer and admin
    • The chosen delivery date is displayed with the rest of the order information in the admin backend.
    We are currently working on a release package and demo site.
    For configuration demo purposes the release package will automatically disable all past days, Sundays and Mondays, the day after some holidays (eg, Thanks Giving, Christmas Day, July 4th) and the following day if after 11am PST.

Once the demo site is up and running we will make the link available for anyone interested to take a look.

We also have integrated the DOTS address validation services into ZenCart to verify customers postal addresses. This too will be on the demo site.

Plugin Contributions

Hey HWS,

I am extremely interested in this. I am about to rebuild this same functionality. When are you expecting to ship and will you charge for it?

Please pm me or email me at norman.on at gmail dot com

Thank you very much
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" - Ghandi

Plugin Contributions

Hi,

I'm new to Zen, and also interested in this Delivery Date picker mod.

So I was wondering, are there any updates on the release date for this mod?

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Great idea i need this mod too :-)
    Last edited by JOKESBYPOST; 3 Jun 2007 at 04:14 PM. Reason: changed

Plugin Contributions

HWS? Any update for us?

Plugin Contributions

Hi Guys

Been a while since I checked back in on this thread.I originally wanted this functionality for Happy Orchid but we ended up calling it a day as the time required to develop the mod was too great. I am still working on my own Mod for zencart 1.3.7 which I hope to implement on Koolbadges (my own store) in the near future. Would be great when we start selling birthday badges and we can ship the to arrive on the birthday.

will keep you posted on the progress.

John

Plugin Contributions

Delivery Date mod... no updates?
    To add on it rather than only dates, timeslots are great. Especially for local delivery, they want this delivered on this date, and choose between maybe 9-12nn, 2-5pm etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast