Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Rush/Priority Handling Charge

I need a way to allow users to specify "rush handling" and add an appropriate handling charge at checkout time. I couldn't find any work in progress or previously discussed solution.

So far, the best work-around I can think of is to setup a virtual product called "rush handling" and make this available via a sidebox (either customize the shopping cart box or add a new one).

Any other ideas?

Thx.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Rush/Priority Handling Charge

What Shipping Module(s) are you using now?
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Default 1.3.5 install. Enabled shipping modules are UPS and USPS.

Let me clarify... Customers can pick shipping priorities just fine, such as next-day-air vs. ground. Also, I have defined a standard handling charge in both my shipping modules that should be added to every order regardless.

I now would like to offer "rush processing" internal to my company, hence the additional handling charge. Ideally, the customer should be able to select this at checkout time, and it should show as a separate line item (similar to either tax or shipping charges), regardless of carrier used or shipping priority specified.

Thx.

Plugin Contributions

you may be able to use this module with a few modifications. this is for insurance, but you can always change the text and the values for it:

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showth...to_threadtools

Plugin Contributions

Thx. On the surface it looks similar to what I'm looking for. I'll take a closer look tomorrow (later today).

Either way, adding shipping insurance was on my to-do list, so thx for the pointer!

Plugin Contributions

Quick followup...

Using the Shipping Insurance module as a jump-board worked like a charm. The biggest change was with how taxes are shown. The Shipping Insurance module by default adds any taxes directly into the insurance charge. For my purposes, I wanted to advertise a set charge, so with this default functionality, it made it look like I said $5 on one page, but on the order it shows as $5.50. To fix this, I added an option to have any taxes be added to the appropriate tax-class line on the order total.

In case others may want similar functionality, I have submitted the Priority Order Handling module to the downloads area. It is now available from this link:

http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=356

Thx again for the help!

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for creating this mod! I have it installed and it works like a charm. I've had 4 orders in the past 2 weeks for which the customer opted to use this feature.

My new dilemma is this:
    I need a way for orders to be searchable to find ones that have "Priority Handling" included. A search via admin on the orders page doesn't come up with anything. For now I have to go thru the orders one by one to be sure I am not overlooking those orders for which the customer paid this extra fee.

Anyone know of a way to make the orders searchable to find ones with Priority Handling? It would make life so much simpler.

Plugin Contributions

You are right that it is a bit of a dilemma... There is a separate table that tracks order totals, and the module simply inserts the priority handling charge there. Since the mechanism defines it separated from the order header, a search does not bring it up. This is not unusual... try searching for "ground" (or some other shipping method) or try searching for something from a line-item, such as a product title--same result.

Make a long story short, it would be somewhat of a hairball to display the priority status on the order summary page for the admin view because the architecture has it separated. If you feel adventurous, you can play with ./admin/orders.php, but don't expect a quick one-liner solution.

If you're comfortable with doing MySQL queries, you can try this:
    SELECT orders_id FROM orders_total WHERE class = 'ot_handling'

Otherwise, I'd suggest using a separate status as a work-around. Make a status that easily identifies the order as a "priority" order to you. When a new order is received, you should review it in detail as part of your normal process anyway--at this time, you will see the priority handling charge as one of the totals. Set the status to "priority processing" for those order that paid for it, otherwise set it to just "processing." Now, you can see at a glance which orders are pending and which have priority.

Cheers,

markus

Plugin Contributions

Priority Handling Rate Scale

Vary priority handling rate based on order value/size

Would be great if the Priority Handling charge could have some sliding scale feature based on order value perhaps

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Actually, this is already built into the module. You can setup either a percentage scale or build flat tiers, and the rate charged will vary based on the order sub-total.

Cheers,

markus

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast