Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Upgrade 1.3.0.2 to 1.3.6 - Why winmerge when using override system?

Hi guys,

New Zenner questions... I have a live site running 1.3.0.2 running standard modules that came with the install. I used the candied_apple template and followed the override system. I have not modified any of the core files (except for the shipping modules - I copied them and made mods).

So, why would I need winmerge? I thought that if you used the override system, when you upgraded all your changes would carry over. Did I not understand that correctly?

I could use some clarification.

Thanks.
    Steve

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgrade 1.3.0.2 to 1.3.6 - Why winmerge when using override system?

So, why would I need winmerge? I thought that if you used the override system, when you upgraded all your changes would carry over. Did I not understand that correctly?
    True- your changes have been protected, but now you need to compare the files that you have inthe overrides with the files we might have improved and add those improvements to your files.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Kim!

New question. To simplify the upgrade process could I do this:

1. Backup all files and db.
    2. FTP up all new files ( I use Dreamweaver so it would syncronize all files)
    3. Run winmerge on my overrides.
    4. Run the zc_install install
    5. Choose upgrade.

One last thing. What about the template. Do I need to winmerge that too?

Thanks.
    Steve

Plugin Contributions

Steve,
    its the files that are in the template that need to be winmerged to see if they have changed.
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Merlinpa1969.

What about my purposed upgrade plan? Would it work? Of course, winmerge the template files.

Steve

Plugin Contributions

Sorry to ######## in, but I noticed "Candied Apple".

I can't remember how far behind the times Candied Apple really is. I suggest upgrading your Candied Apple template with a 1.3.6 override copy of Classic. You can then use the Apple stylesheet as a basic guide for font colors and such, also you can overwrite the red images from Apple to the override copy of Classic. Candied Apple is pretty much a basic color/text changed template and will be easier sent to cyberspace Heaven than patching, in my opinion anyways. There might be older defunct Selectors/Classes in the stylesheet that need to be trimmed off and so forth, so best to start anew.

I probably will upgrade to v1.3.6 over the weekend and I can help you with a template conversion, if you wish. While helping you, it may help me to help other users of Candied Apple by having copies available of a v1.3.6 converted template. All in all, you may be the lucky test subject.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for the offer Sketchy. I think I will take you up on it. I need to get the site upgraded (primarily for the address book/state issues) as well as for the security features. My goal is to upgrade this weekend as well. This will be my first site upgrade so I am very nervous. I think more so because I am unclear on some of the steps. Would you be willing to either post the template conversion instructions or send them via a PM?

Thank you some much for your help!
    Steve

Plugin Contributions

You're very welcome Steve. Yeah, it's best to run with the current version. With my upgrade, I think I'm going ahead with these key topics:
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=108
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=122
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=103

I have a couple of mods on my test shop(I don't have a real store), so I may use WinMerge or just redo everything. Also, I could just start from scratch, but I want to try out the upgrade for the experience.

As far as the template itself, I have to build it upon the 1.3.6 platform. So, I'm going to do the work there and in the end you'll get a ready to load template. That way, you can take your time with the upgrade without being overwhelmed with a template project on top of everything... leave that part to me.

Perhaps, you can PM me with your URL... just so I can have a preview of what I'm up against and maybe pick away at it as soon as tomorrow night.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you Sketchy for your hard work in updating the template. It looks great! I have done a successful upgrade to 1.3.6, no doubt without your hard work I would've had a very difficult time.

Thanks!!

Plugin Contributions

You're very welcome. I'm glad you are able to put the template to use, I'm happy and also proud. My test shop upgrade went without a hitch too! I like hearing good news.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast