Plugin Contributions

Default Add detailed product information as PDF-file

Hi all,

I would like to add a detailed product desricption as a PDF-file. The customer should be able to click like 'click here' and then a new window opens with the pdf-file and additional information.
    I tried to set it up like a downloadable product (which worked fine), but actually the detailed description should be as an additional information to the product and not being showed when paid and checked out.

Can anyone help me on that, please?

Many thanks in advanced.

Kruna

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Add detailed product information as PDF-file

What about setting up a static folder for these PDF's? Then you can set the manufacturer's link on the product details to match the URL for this folder and PDF file. You can change the layout of the product page better match what you're doing, e.g. "Click here for a PDF brochure"
    Frank Koehl
    "Cleverly Disguised as a Responsible Adult"

frankkoehl.com

Plugin Contributions

Thank you very much for your reply and your suggestion.

Well, I have already a link to the manufacturer's page or rather said to the product of the manufaturer's website. It says something like...for more information click here to visit the homepage...and it directs you to the corresponding product.

I just feel that sometimes the customer doesn't want to look up the links, becuase there he still has to browse and search for the info, but wants to have the info somewhere 'near' to the product.
    I'm not sure if I have expressed myself clearly.

I didn't quite understood 'to match the URL for this folder and PDF file. You can change the layout of the product page better match what you're doing, e.g. "Click here for a PDF brochure"'

But is there a way to add an PDF-file?

Thanks again for your help.

Kruna

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Kruna View Post
    Well, I have already a link to the manufacturer's page or rather said to the product of the manufaturer's website. It says something like...for more information click here to visit the homepage...and it directs you to the corresponding product.
    Yes, that's the part I was talking about when I said "You can change the layout of the product page better match what you're doing;" go into the language file for this page and change the text. You can also edit the template and move this link wherever you want.
    I just feel that sometimes the customer doesn't want to look up the links, becuase there he still has to browse and search for the info, but wants to have the info somewhere 'near' to the product.
    If that's your concern (and I think it's quite valid), why are you forcing the user to download a PDF in the first place? Just a thought...
    I didn't quite understood 'to match the URL for this folder and PDF file. You can change the layout of the product page better match what you're doing, e.g. "Click here for a PDF brochure"'
    Okay, put aside the Zen logic for a second. You've got a website, where you place pages to view and files to download. FTP those PDF's into a folder somewhere on your server. Now those PDF's are available for download by visiting your site and going to the folder and file where you uploaded them (i.e. the PDF's URL). You can then take that URL and place it in the manufacturer link on the product edit screen in the admin. Does that make more sense?
    But is there a way to add an PDF-file?
    What I descirbed is the simplest solution, however you could also edit the product type and duplicate the manufacturer link logic, allowing you two links, one for PDF's and another for the manufacturer.

I should also note that you can enlighten yourself on all the concepts I'm talking about here by searching the forums and the FAQ section on the keywords ("template", "language file", "product type", etc).
    Frank Koehl
    "Cleverly Disguised as a Responsible Adult"

frankkoehl.com

Plugin Contributions

Thank you very much ,Blindside',

Maybe I am too slow on the uptake...one reason is because my english is not may mother language...

I don't quite get what you trying to say....maybe I'll give you a link on my page, so you can see (but it is in spanish, also NOT my mother language)
    www.clickyshop.com/tienda

I would like to end the product description (after giving a brief description of the product) with the following sentence....
    for more information, please click here..

The words in bold should be a link to the PDF-file, with a detailed desrciption of the product and actually I would like to leave the link to the homepage of the brand...

If it is too complicated, I will leave the ´link, but I prefer to show the PDF.

I am very sorry, really, because I am not understanding what you are trying to explain...

Quote:
    If that's your concern (and I think it's quite valid), why are you forcing the user to download a PDF in the first place? Just a thought...

Maybe I am wrong, but I think don't try to force the user, but to make it easier to find detailed info...e.g. celular phones, if he goes to the related website, he needs to browse and find the technical info, but if I offer it at the end of the brief description with a quick PDF-down/upload, he has it right away without 'searching' for it.

I am even not sure, if I explained well what I need, sorry...still I hope to get a solution...

Thank you very much, I really apreciate your help.

Kruna