Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Restricting coupons to a group of products

I'm just getting started with Zen Cart and many things are not yet obvious to me. I'd like to be able to offer coupons for an arbitrary group of products. Is there any way to do that? Thanks.

Steve

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Restricting coupons to a group of products

Arbitrary how? As in products you chose at random?
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

It might as well be random. There is criteria for choosing the products, but the criteria are not something that Zen Cart itself is in a position to evaluate. Mostly, it will be based on marketing incentives that I get from the manufacturer. I'll be using Easy Populate, so I hope to be able to flag the products in a field that gets imported by Easy Populate

Plugin Contributions

1 Stick the Products in a Category together and mark that as the Category for the Product ...

2 Add miscellaneous Products as the restriction on the coupon ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Ajeh. Can I do that and still keep the products in their current category heirarchy? Also, could I prevent the new category from showing on the category menu?

Plugin Contributions

Using linked products and then putting that category on the Discount Coupon's restriction ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Thanks again Linda. For the life of me I don't get the zen of linking products, so I asked how to do it by asking the question in the FAQs section.

However, I may have another approach that might work better for me. Optimally, these same products would also be the Featured Products. Unfortunately, Easy Populate doesn't support Featured Products and there doesn't seem to be a coupon restriction for Featured Products.

The solution requires treading in the land of MySQL, a place that I probably do not belong. After creating the coupon by normal means, I updated the zen_featured and zen_coupon_restrict tables to include the products. This seems to work, but I've only done a small amount of testing. Do you think that this will eventually be blown apart by landmines, or is this a workable solution?

Steve

Plugin Contributions

What is it about Linking that you don't understand?

Linked products are single items that reside in multiple categories.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

The part that I don't get is how to create the link. In the sample install, I can see how products are linked. However, for unlinked products, that area is greyed out.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Admin->Catalog->Categories/Products
    - find your product
    - click on the "c" in the button-bar on the right-hand end of that row
    - choose the category you want to link it to
    - choose "Link" instead of "duplicate", and submit

Now you'll have "one" product that resides in multiple categories. The master will be the first category you assigned it to, unless you change the master by manually editing the product and changing the master-categories-id via the pulldown above the product-name and available-date.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast