Plugin Contributions

Default using two template folders??

As you might image by the nature of my topic title, I'm new to Zen. (But I have done lots of OS Commerce sites so I'm not a complete newbie.)

The template system is taking some time to adjust to and is giving me a bit of grief which I'm sure are very minor problems.

It seems as though I have two template folders going. It's pulling my CSS from one folder, and the pages from another.

I'd like to fix this so everything points to the same folder ... can someone point me to the correct config to correct it manually?

Kindest thanks for your assistance!

Gin

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: using two template folders??

Have you set up your custom template override using the recommendations from the FAQs? https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?category=4
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Kim, I'll check that out and see if I did it right.

Plugin Contributions

I made my own folder following the instructions but once everything turned into those lovely soft colours it was quite far from the design direction I was headed.

So I switched back to the green stuff and made all my changes to it.

So What I have at this time is that all my own edited files are in default_template (or whatever it's called) but it looks to classic for the css files.

Once the design is set and finished, I have no plans to change it. So it didn't seem necessary to have another template.

Am I confused? Or does that make sense? I thought I read that the template system is this way so you can easily swap templates.

Gin

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ginginca View Post
    I thought I read that the template system is this way so you can easily swap templates.
    Yes, it is.
    We just recommend that you don't call "your" template as "classic" or "template_default". Almost any other name will suffice.

One of the main reasons for this is so that if we make an update to the supplied "classic" template files in the next version, and you mistakenly assume that you can just upload all the new files in order to upgrade, then you'll wipe out your customizations and won't be very happy.

Upgrades will still require merging changes into your customized files, but if your customized template goes by a different name, it's faster to isolate potential issues.

A second big reason for keeping it separate is so that you can easily switch "back to classic" in order to peek at the way your site looks if it was based on defaults. That way if a customization change you made caused something to be busted, you could quickly switch back and see if it was also busted in Classic. Then you'd know whether a change you made was related to a templating issue or some other part of the code.

So ... at present, you could rename your "classic" folder to "justmine" or something, and edit the template_info.php file inside the folder to reflect the name. Then if you've used any other "classic" folders on your site, you could rename those as well. After doing so, I suggest you re-upload the original "classic" folders so you have something available to "switch to" if you need to test against the default layout.

As for the "soft colors" that you didn't like so much ... those were just from the template_default stylesheet. They're set that way so that you "do" change them and so that they're easier to locate specific parts to change to your liking. Some people can't see past the colors and think they're in a paint factory that just had an accident. It's not really that bad :) ... just identify the color and change it to what you desire.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for your informative reply. You have explained it well.

I'll play with that template info file and see if it points correctly.

Gin

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ginginca View Post
    Thank you for your informative reply. You have explained it well.

I'll play with that template info file and see if it points correctly.

Gin
    Also, for clarity, move any files that you have edited in template_default or its sub folders into your own template directory taking care to preserve the folder structure. But overall it sounds like you're on the right track.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)