Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: account creation bug when displaying create-account-success page

Okay, after some testing I will answer my own post...

To clarify this problem:

There is an issue with 1.3.6 whereby after new account creation during checkout, the customer is always redirected back to the create_account page rather than to the checkout_shipping page where they should go to complete the order process.

A quick fix for this issue was posted last Thursday here.

If you install the latest version of Steven's sessionWatcher contrib., he has modified it to do the same thing as the patch, so you don't have to apply the patch.

If you have already applied the patch it's okay as it will have no effect.

So to summarize, either install the sessionWatcher contrib. (this gets my my vote), or the patch or both to correct this issue.

Hope this helps!

Jeff

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Okay, after some testing I will answer my own post...

To clarify this problem:

There is an issue with 1.3.6 whereby after new account creation during checkout, the customer is always redirected back to the create_account page rather than to the checkout_shipping page where they should go to complete the order process.

A quick fix for this issue was posted last Thursday here.

If you install the latest version of Steven's sessionWatcher contrib., he has modified it to do the same thing as the patch, so you don't have to apply the patch.

If you have already applied the patch it's okay as it will have no effect.

So to summarize, either install the sessionWatcher contrib. (this gets my my vote), or the patch or both to correct this issue.

Hope this helps!

Jeff

Hi! I may be missing something here. I didn't apply your patch, or the sessionwatch contribution. I just changed the value of recreatesessions to be false. It fixed the problem. So, maybe there will be some issue I didn't notice? Or do I still need to apply the contributions? Sorry, I am making myself seem even more ignorant.

Plugin Contributions

First, this is a problem with 1.3.6 ONLY... If you have a previous version the problem does not apply!

If you wish to see this issue, follow these steps...

1) Visit your store as a new user.

2) Add something to the cart.

3) Checkout...

4) The cart will prompt you to login or create an account...

5) Choose create account, and submit your information.

6) You will be redirected to the account creation success page (assuming you entered vaild info)...

7) Click the continue button in the success page to witness the problem...

Instead of progressing to checkout_shipping you will be redirected back to the create_account page.

Hope this helps!

Jeff

Plugin Contributions

Well now you have me doubting myself...

Are we *SURE* at this point, that this affects all 1.3.6 users, or is it my contrib that caused the problem in the first place?? I thought I tested on a fresh copy, but maybe I got mixed up... I didn't know you had SessionWatcher going too.

I don't want to install another fresh copy (too busy right now) so can someone WITHOUT sessionWatcher please follow Jeff's instructions and confirm the problem?

Thanks.

- Steven

Plugin Contributions

Argh! I also had sessionWatcher running on our test site where I performed the testing when trying to help stargre and mycolumbus. Ajeh indicates that she cannot duplicate the problem on her test installation but is unsure that her code has not been modified beyond the as released 1.3.6.

Like you I really don't have time to do a clean install so I'm hoping someone (stargre?, mycolumbus?) with a clean install can confirm or deny this problem exists?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Plugin Contributions

hehe... that's funny :) So in other words, we managed to steer this thread completely off topic because the bug you and I are talking about may not have anything at all to do with the original problem. YOU STARTED IT!! :) It actually makes sense that sessionWatcher was the culprit. It creates a navigation history for any page that doesn't already have one. This particular case was caused because a navigation history is set on one page (by checkout) and forwarded to a new page (account creation)... but then instead of going directly back to checkout it goes to a THIRD page (account creation success) and sessionWatcher by that point was active again. I hadn't accounted for cases like this where there's a (useless?) intermediary step. Really though... what is the point of the success page? With or without my contrib, I would suggest that it would flow better if the customer was taken directly back to the checkout rather than having to hit "continue" to do so.

Sorry for inadvertently contributing to Jeff's inadvertent hijacking of this topic! You may now resume your normal bug.

- Steven

Plugin Contributions

Really though... what is the point of the success page? With or without my contrib, I would suggest that it would flow better if the customer was taken directly back to the checkout rather than having to hit "continue" to do so.
    Yes, and I believe that is the exact issue that put me off track since this is something newly added to Zencart. Originally after account creation older version of Zencart redirected back to checkout shipping page rather than having a continue button. I assumed (and probably incorrectly so now) that the culprit was in the addition of the success page and it's continue button.

Profusley apologizing now for that mistake!

Jeff

Plugin Contributions

What I saw with a clean install of 1.3.6 is that without changing the resetsessions value, this problem does happen every time. But after reset it, without applying either the patch mentioned earlier or the contribution, it worked fine. I am not good enough to make any conclusions. But that's what I can report.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

The bypass of the create-account-success page has been built-in to v1.3.7.

Plugin Contributions

Excellent!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456