Plugin Contributions

Default Model Numbers With Product Options

Hello all!

Is there a way to configure product options so that when the user selects "Black" the model# for the product is adjusted in the cart? Each of my products has a different model number (which is necessary for proper ordering from the distributor) for each variation. For example:

Product 1 (Red) - Model 123-A

Product 2 (Green) - Model 123-B

Is it possible to assign a model number to each product option? So that when the user submits an oder the proper model # is displayed? Basically adding multiple model #'s for each product??

My feeling is that this isn't a standard feature and would most llikely require custom code - but perhaps there is an alternative solution??

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Model Numbers With Product Options

This isn't a standard feature of Zen Cart and would require custom code ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DiZZ View Post
    Hello all!

Is there a way to configure product options so that when the user selects "Black" the model# for the product is adjusted in the cart? Each of my products has a different model number (which is necessary for proper ordering from the distributor) for each variation. For example:

Product 1 (Red) - Model 123-A

Product 2 (Green) - Model 123-B

Is it possible to assign a model number to each product option? So that when the user submits an oder the proper model # is displayed? Basically adding multiple model #'s for each product??

My feeling is that this isn't a standard feature and would most llikely require custom code - but perhaps there is an alternative solution??
    did you ever find a way to do this? or did you find another work around? most (read all) of my products have different model numbers based upon the options selected.

thx
    Steve

Plugin Contributions

Really steve? How did you go about doing this? We never came up with a solution, we are forced to use a "reference sheet" to lookup different models by the base model # (one ordered). Do you have a solution?

Plugin Contributions

no sorry I havent found a way. our manufacturing rep is willing to work with us for the orders at the time being while I work on a better solution.

S

Plugin Contributions

As a compromise until you figure out a custom way to manipulate the main model number, can you change your attribute descriptions to include their special model numbers? For example, in your attributes controller - you would have an option called RED MODEL A123 and another one called RED MODEL A345 and another called BLUE MODEL 657 and so on.

I guess it would be tedious as far as having a ton of attributes to sort through, but the positive side is that this model number would be appended to the order details - so your vendor can refer to it?

Plugin Contributions

Jac,

I had proposed that originally, but the idea was shot down for 2 reasons:

1. As you say, it really clutters the options to the point where this cart would have 5x the amount of attributes vs products.

2. The client is concerned that if the customer can see the model # that they will use it to search for a better price on the product somewhere else.

Thanks for the suggestion...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DiZZ View Post
    Jac,

I had proposed that originally, but the idea was shot down for 2 reasons:

1. As you say, it really clutters the options to the point where this cart would have 5x the amount of attributes vs products.

2. The client is concerned that if the customer can see the model # that they will use it to search for a better price on the product somewhere else.

Thanks for the suggestion...
    Ah, I see. In this case, I assume it is also preferred not to display the model number at all on the actual product page; you only want it to show up in your vendor's email notification or on the invoice or something. The way I invision it, you would need to setup a database (or another table) that identifies what model numbers go with what specific description. For example, "Super Ultra Widget in Red" = "#123ABC". It would be an extensive database, but I imagine your client already has this kind of data anyway (supplied by the manufacturers). Then, you would need to write a script to recognize when the description is submitted in an order, and stick the appropriate matching Model value in the outgoing email or invoice template.

I know I am not telling you exactly how to program this. But this would be my plan of action.

Plugin Contributions

Jac,

Your advice is much appreciated. Unfortunately I am still somewhat of a novice at PHP. I know enough to manipulate & understand it, but to actually write scripts that will work with a system like ZenCart is beyond my abilities at this point. Thanks for the direction though!