Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default ZenCart 1.2.5. or 1.3.6.???

Hi All,

Maybe the answer is obvious, but still I have to ask.

I have some doubts on what told me the webhost company and I hope that anyone can help me on that.

Few months ago I contracted a webhosting company and they installed ZenCart, but they have installed the version 1.2.5, which is not the latest one as I thought they would install.

I got a message from ZenCart about updates and when asking the company to do the update, tehy said it wouldn't be a good idea...it seems that they have Linux. The reason they said is that the changes from 1.2.5 to 1.3.6 are not so significant, but would possibly affect the funcionality of my shop...

Is this true??? I mean I don't know much about ZenCart, programming, coding...etc...I can only click buttons to make some changes, but common sense tells me that one should have the software up-to-date or are they right and I am better off with 1.2.5 version.

Thanks a lot for any feedback.

Kruna

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: ZenCart 1.2.5. or 1.3.6.???

the version that they are installing is quite old,
    and zen cart is designed to run on Linux
    they dont have a clue,

there are DRASTIC changes between 1.2.5 and 1.3.6
    first and formost is security,
    features are second
    redesign of the templates ( from table to div )

I would suggest heading out from them ASAP
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Kruna View Post
    I mean I don't know much about ZenCart, programming, coding...etc...I can only click buttons to make some changes, but common sense tells me that one should have the software up-to-date or are they right and I am better off with 1.2.5 version.

Thanks a lot for any feedback.

Kruna
    Yes, you need to be using the most recent version of Zen Cart for the security updates and most up to date features.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

I wonder if you are with my present (soon to be late) host. I was told the same and also that the up to date version isn't secure!!!!
    Growl!!!!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by waveneybooks View Post
    I wonder if you are with my present (soon to be late) host. I was told the same and also that the up to date version isn't secure!!!!
    Growl!!!!
    Thanks for all the replies... so I was not that wrong. I will contact them again aking to install the latest version...As I am new, they can tell me anything and I would believe.

The product entries, configurations and changes I made, does they stay same or do I need to do all over again.

Thanks a lot for feedback, was a big help. I appreciate that much.

Kruna

Plugin Contributions

I would have them do a fresh install...
    I hope you can get to em, I cant and their DNS looks to be down
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Merlinpa1969 View Post
    I would have them do a fresh install...
    I hope you can get to em, I cant and their DNS looks to be down
    MAybe because they had lately some serious problems with their page or server, they are about to fix it.

Kruna

Plugin Contributions

...and I guess with my lack of experince it won't be easy to do it by myself, right?

Kruna

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Kruna View Post
    ...and I guess with my lack of experince it won't be easy to do it by myself, right?

Kruna
    Depends how ulcer-resistant your stomach is LOL! The frustration-factor of ZenCart is likely directly inverse to your knowledge of PHP. Personally I'm no PHP guru so I took lots of Zantac the first time around!

But, before steeling yourself for the challenge--the new version may not run on your server's version of PHP. Which, I suspect, is the real reason behind the host's refusal to upgrade it.

As for the host, they said a lot of BS, but there are valid reasons for not wanting to do an upgrade. For some reason, it seems they didn't want to bother with the technical details...maybe they have a lot of n00b customers who wouldn't understand the details if they tried...

The problem with the new version is that it won't install if the server's PHP version is too old. So the host would probably have to upgrade its PHP to make it work.

But, upgrading it can break older installs of ZenCart, and probably other old software as well. That's what happened to me when I upgraded my PHP (I've got a managed-dedicated server) to access newer software...suddenly no orders could get through my old cart (It stopped sending the CC data to Authorize.net)! Worse yet, I didn't realize that until a customer started pestering me that his order wasn't going through, and kept at it until I realized that it really wasn't a "PEBKAC" issue... I ended up having to go back to the old PHP and keeping my old ZC install, since I obviously wasn't going to allow more downtime when I had a customer on the hook practically waving his credit card at me!!

So I can understand the reasons for them not wanting to upgrade on a shared server. It'd be a blooming nightmare for them if they have to tell a bunch of people that they now have to recustomize their carts, migrate their databases, etc. I imagine that'd go over like a ton of bricks with their other customers.

The new ZenCart looks like it has a lot of cool features, but doing all the necessary upgrades to get it running during the prime selling season isn't appealing for me either!

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for all that input.

Well, the server's version is php 4.3.10, I don't know whether this is old or the latest one.
    I hope you are right, Remington, then I would unserstand their position and maybe I shouldn't insist then to make an update...but still it bothers me, I feel like working on Windows95 instead WindowsXP, even though I don't know how 1.3.6. is and 1.2.5. also does work, but just to know it I feel uncompfortable.

Anyway thanks a lot for all answers.

Kruna

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast