Plugin Contributions

Default Finally remote connections work, graphics gone remotely

Hi:

Progress, I have finally got a connection here at work to my zen-cart on my iMac at home. It seems for some odd reason my DynDNS program on mac had not reported/updated the correct ip that my broadband host was at this week. Not sure why but I need to look at the DynDNS program which I "tinkered" with on Sunday (the date it got "udated").

So anyway I have a connection here at work when I corrected the current ip at my DynDNS account, and of course found that to get all the subdirs to run under main shop page I am going to have to have that same URL (dinoruss.dyn-o-saur.com) and not the local ip address of my iMac assigned by my router. That now makes sense since that is how you get in from outside through my broadband host and router.

So on to the next problem. As I mentioned in my last thread I find that like some posts on here when permissions are not right the graphics partly or completely drop when I am on my local machine or another machine on my local LAN. So that was a good learning curve. Well I am connected here at work but again my graphics are not showing so I assume permissions are messing with me as a guest comming in remotely.

My question is that the discussion/information on all this is scattered all over the forum and FAQ site. But I would like some kind of short FAQ/information that states what specific read/write permissions that each directory, and important files need. I have the permissions set on the images dir right now at Admin (read/write), localmacuser-me (read-write) and everyone else (read). Do my users need some kind of write access with the images and such in the image folder? I assume this is the case. I got no images even at home as a guest logging in locally when t he images folder was set to no access in terms of read and write. Setting to read only for other users had the graphics working perfectly locally but obviously that is not enough remotely?

If there is documentation that outlines the various read/write permissions needed for site to function properly could you please point me in wite way. i am not finding this info by just searching the forums and FAQ's.

Thanks

Russ Jacobson

[FONT=&quot]=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Russell J. Jacobson[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Geologist 217-244-2426[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Coal Section Fax 217-333-2830[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Specialties: Stratigraphy, Coal Geology[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Coal Resources, Geoscience Outreach[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]and Vertebrate Paleontology[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]615 E Peabody Drive[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Illinois Geological Survey[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Champaign, IL 61820[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Email: [email protected][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Keeper of DINO RUSS's LAIR:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]http://www.dinoruss.com[/FONT][FONT=&quot] or [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://www.dinoruss.org[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=[/FONT]

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: silly me -- file permission stuff was right in insall instructions file

Quote Originally Posted by dino_russ View Post
    Hi:

If there is documentation that outlines the various read/write permissions needed for site to function properly could you please point me in wite way. i am not finding this info by just searching the forums and FAQ's.

It has been a few days since I got zen-cart installed, finally got the right keyword to search the forum which had someone with same problem and as thought you need to chmod the images folder to 777 -- in the install document. I did that in the beginning of the install but forgot that info was right there (it is the install document and you normally do not go back to it )

Anyway that should solve my problem of display of images. It might be good to have a FAQ that has this info in case others some how get the image directory set to something other than 777. Mine got reset for some reason (may have been doing a permissions changes I did after install "protecting some folders" that I thought should not have read/write for my users. I am not sure how many go back to install documents to look for the file permissions info -- I did not

Hope all my experimentation is helpful to other mac users of Zen Cart. Thanks for such a wonderful program all you zen-developers!!!

Russ Jacobson