Thread: hideCategories

Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: hideCategories

This mod seems very useful (to me, at least).

However, one extra feature would be really great : the possibility to hide the categories for everyone, but display them for specific group of users.

It then would be possible to create a let's say "Premium customers" group, and give them access to extra products put in those hidden categories.

The contrib can not do that at the present time, am I right?

Thanks,

sanji

Plugin Contributions

No, it can't do that as-is. But I'm sure it could be modified to do so with some work.

That's not something my client needs so I have no plans for it.

- Steven

Plugin Contributions

Hi s_mack. Just thought I would pop in and let you know that your mod seems to be working perfectly in 1.3.0.1 (my bad, I believed the header when it tells me I am up to date! -- Yikes!!)

So, questions is... is there any reason you know of that I should NOT be running it in V1.3.0.1 ?

I backed everything up, ran sql, turned off 'all products' link, installed mod and 'hid' a few products I had already added but left inactive, just knowing I could hide them someday. So far so good.

Which brings me to the next question... since I am guessing my admin header is not correct and I AM several versions behind I should update, then start this install again, yes?

Thank you so much for the great mod and the time you spend answering questions!!

Lori -- wishing she had her Zen-Cart hat to wear while coding...
    Last edited by redheads; 19 Jan 2007 at 08:39 AM. Reason: said I installed mad instead of mod! I was not mad.

Plugin Contributions

You really should upgrade to the current zen version Lori... there have been a LOT of security and bug fixes. However, if the contrib works then no, I have no particular reason why you should upgrade just for the sake of this contrib.

- Steven

Plugin Contributions

Thanks - I was just over there reading all of the things I have missed while merrily using my cart and reading the little 'your version of zen cart appears to be current' message... not good. Looks like I have a bit of catching up to do. I appreciate your note and your mod -- will sit down and check all of my mods to see how much time I need to set aside for a serious upgrade!

Cool that your mod works in the earlier version, and I am very excited to know this will work in the new cart in addition to better security (almost as glad as I am to see the paypal fix in the new cart - that stuck paypal issue has been a pain in the typing fingers!)

Thanks again.

Lori

Plugin Contributions

Hi!

Love this mod! It's exactly what I've been looking for.

I think I've run into a minor glitch though.
    I just installed it on a v1.3.7 with a template using BetterCategoriesEZ (downloaded template - this mod was already integrated with it).

I *tried* using WinMerge (I say tried because I'd never done it before and not sure if I did it correctly) on the tpl_categories file.

The hidden category still shows up in the Category list, but does not show in the All Products, New Products lists or Search. Yeah!

I did a work around by disabling the category completely, but leaving the test product in it enabled. Now it doesn't show up in the Category list or the other lists. Great!!

BUT...if I turn on my "Whats New" sidebox it still shows up there.
    Is this normal behavior for this mod or is the BetterCategories mod conflicting with it? Is there a workaround?

Any and all suggestions, fixes, etc welcomed!!
    I'll finish that project tomorrow, I've made enough mistakes today!

Plugin Contributions

I read the readme.txt of hideCategories

Installation:
    First, use the included sql file to update your database (adds a new table - edits nothing). If you don't know how to do this, seek help on the ZenCart forums.

How to do this? didn't find a solution after I search the forum.

Plugin Contributions

I understand that things can be difficult for beginners. However, this isn't the place for that question. The operation in question is a basic sql task and the answer you're not looking for (but probably the most helpful) is "until you learn how php and sql work you probably shouldn't be installing mods". Try asking how to use a *.sql file in the general forum. That's what I meant by "seek help on the ZenCart forums".

I want to clarify my position here: Its not that I'm trying to be rude or unhelpful, but there needs to be a progression of steps before anyone can really help. It doesn't really do you any good to have "the answer" and not understand what is happening. And frankly, its not the contrib author's responsibility to teach basic php/sql techniques. Sorry, I don't know how to say that without sounding like a ##########.

- Steven

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
    I understand that things can be difficult for beginners. However, this isn't the place for that question. The operation in question is a basic sql task and the answer you're not looking for (but probably the most helpful) is "until you learn how php and sql work you probably shouldn't be installing mods". Try asking how to use a *.sql file in the general forum. That's what I meant by "seek help on the ZenCart forums".

I want to clarify my position here: Its not that I'm trying to be rude or unhelpful, but there needs to be a progression of steps before anyone can really help. It doesn't really do you any good to have "the answer" and not understand what is happening. And frankly, its not the contrib author's responsibility to teach basic php/sql techniques. Sorry, I don't know how to say that without sounding like a ##########.

- Steven
    Thank you for your quick reply. I have no background of php and sql.
    My previous expericen is on asp and mdb.

Is this the place I creat new table?

http://www.***/dh_phpmyadmin/my.***/

Create new table on database********
    Name:
    Number of fields:

1) What's the name should I put? Whatever I want?
    2) Number of fields? What's that.

Please be patient, I may not as smart as others.

Plugin Contributions

Hello:

Here is the sql file I run. All the tables have prefix deals_.
    If I do not add the prefix in

CREATE TABLE `hide_categories` (

I got an error.

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `deals_hide_categories` ;# MySQL returned an empty result set (i.e. zero rows).
    # MySQL returned an empty result set (i.e. zero rows).
    CREATE TABLE `deals_hide_categories` (
    `hide_categories_id` int( 11 ) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT ,
    `categories_id` int( 11 ) NOT NULL ,
    `visibility_status` int( 11 ) NOT NULL ,
    PRIMARY KEY ( `hide_categories_id` )
    );# MySQL returned an empty result set (i.e. zero rows).
    # MySQL returned an empty result set (i.e. zero rows).

However, I can't see the hide option in admin? Anything wrong?

Please help.
    Thanks

Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast