Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion pub = unwritable (chmod 777 read/write/execute) How can i fix this?

Hi, i am new with FTP. i am trying to install Zen Cart, but i came across this issue:

File and Folder Permissions
    In order for many Zen Cart™ administrative and day-to-day functions to work properly, You need to mark several files/folders "Writeable". The following is a list of folders which need to be "read-write", along with recommended CHMOD settings. Please correct these settings before continuing installation. Refresh this page in your browser to re-check settings.

Some hosts may not allow you to set CHMOD 777, but only 666. Start with the higher setting first, and switch to lower values if required.
    • <LI class=OK>includes/configure.php = Writeable <LI class=OK>admin/includes/configure.php = Writeable
    • <LI class=OK>cache = OK <LI class=OK>images = OK <LI class=OK>includes/languages/english/html_includes = OK <LI class=OK>media = OK <LI class=WARN>pub = Unwriteable (chmod 777 read/write/execute) <LI class=OK>admin/backups = OK
    • admin/images/graphs = OK

How can i fix this problem?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: pub = unwritable (chmod 777 read/write/execute) How can i fix this?

Just a thought but I think
    777= fully writable, readble and so on..
    But I think
    644= read only (do not hold me to it though)

I just seen the post and thought I would say something about it.

Have you changed the permission for the PUB folder to 777 yet?

Plugin Contributions

hi , thanks for answering, i really dont know how to change the file. I am new with FTP, i didnt switch anything.

Plugin Contributions

After looking over this again I see you are using linux/unis server for your hosting... I am not familiar with that system AT ALL!!! LOL

Here is a website to help you understand the permission scale.http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/..._ugfilesp.html
    It seems a little confusing but for the most part it is what you need..

I dont really just want to tell you what to change the permissions to. it is always nice to understand how things work as well.....

From the error you are getting it is saying that the PUB folder is not writeable. so it will not continue without the problem being changed, Meaning that the permission for that folder is not set high enough... Change it to 777 or some servers only go as high as 666.