Plugin Contributions

Default Roadmap for payment modules?

Hello all, since I developed some payment modules, I'd like to know if there are any changes in program about checkout system modification. I'm referring expecially to how/when is stored the order in db.

I want to enhance my modules (the ones which use external gateway to process credit card payments) to manage better the 'not closed orders'. Actually I use a new table to create an id to send to the gateway and if, for any reason, the payment is completed on the gateway but not closed in Zen Cart I have some data collected about this order. The new enhancement regard storing also order products details (pid, quantity, attributes, ecc...). This way if an order is not closed, but payed for, it is possible to easyly know what was ordered.

Since storing info about products ordered, attributes, ecc.. is not easy and fast, I would like to know if you plan (1 month? 6 months? never?) to modify checkout system, storing the order (maybe with a payment pending status) before the payment is done.

Thanks!
    Paolo De Dionigi
    Co-maintainer of Zen Cart Italia

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Roadmap for payment modules?

I am pretty sure that the team said they didnt do this as a way to keep the BS invoices to a minimum,

It would suck at the end of the year having to account for a few hundred invoices that were never completed,

the best thing to send to a gateway for a unique number is a time date stamp
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Merlinpa1969 View Post
    I am pretty sure that the team said they didnt do this as a way to keep the BS invoices to a minimum,

It would suck at the end of the year having to account for a few hundred invoices that were never completed,
    Ok, I understand the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlinpa1969 View Post
    the best thing to send to a gateway for a unique number is a time date stamp
    Here I disagree. I already use a new table to store data, creating this way a unique id for the gateway. This way I may also manage, in admin, orders not closed (2 of the gateways for which I developed the module also grant server to server communication, helping to understand what's happened). The only thing I'm actually missing are info about products ordered. But I'll add this feature when I'll have time.
    Paolo De Dionigi

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by s_p_ike View Post
    Ok, I understand the point.

Here I disagree. I already use a new table to store data, creating this way a unique id for the gateway. This way I may also manage, in admin, orders not closed (2 of the gateways for which I developed the module also grant server to server communication, helping to understand what's happened). The only thing I'm actually missing are info about products ordered. But I'll add this feature when I'll have time.
    I agree with both ways...

In a realtime database environment I do agree that a true unique id would be best because there could be multiple db entries as granular as the milliseconds, but for something more passive like a website, it seems a bit overkill to have an additional id because a date/time stamp "should" be unique enough.

Plugin Contributions

I didn't mean timestamp wasn't reliable. I too think is enough to identify unique orders, but I preferred creation of unique id within a new table for the purpose to store order details before the order is created. Why? Because my customers told me that they received some payments without a corresponding order in Zen Cart. This is due to the fact that the user doesn't come back to Zen Cart after having payed on the gateway (one gateway does not even have an authomatic procedure to come back to the store, the user must click a botton... or may always happen that the user close the browser before he comes back to the store or there may be a down of internet connection or the server may be temporarily down, or...).

Since these gateways doesn't allow to send detailed info about the products purchased, if the order isn't closed in Zen Cart, the store owner doesn't know what has been purchased.

So I completed my enhancement adding 4 new tables where to store ordered products details with attributes if any and order status (obviously not ZC standard order status, but status reflecting what happened to the order: if closed, disappear and becomes a standard ZC order, if open, it gives info why is open and at which step something went wrong and what (thus reporting error messages from gateway if any)).
    Paolo De Dionigi