Plugin Contributions

Default Cannot access admin area after .htaccess directory - gives me page not found

I read the security recommendations and saw I should .htaccess password protect the /admin directory. I tried doing this with the protect directory option on my host (Site5) but when I try to access the /admin it give me the standard 404 page not found. Anyone have any ideas on this? Thank you!

Heres what my .htaccess looks like:
    AuthType Basic

AuthName "Admin Area"

AuthUserFile "/home/sitename/.htpasswds/admin/passwd"

require valid-user

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Cannot access admin area after .htaccess directory - gives me page not found

Anyone have any ideas?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Cannot access admin area after .htaccess directory - gives me page not found

If you used a feature from your host's control panel in order to protect the folder, perhaps you should be asking your host for specific assistance.

At a cursory glance, the content you posted appears to not contain any obvious syntactical errors. But that doesn't vouch for its suitability for your particular server configuration.

Renaming your /admin folder is far more likely to provide you security benefits faster than using the .htaccess to protect things.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I am having the exact same issue on a different host (hostgator). renaming the admin directory is a good idea though and I'll try that. Are you using the SEF url add-on for Zen cart? I'd like to know so that if you don't I won't waste time trying to fix it.

Thanks