Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

red flag Re: Australian GST – Product Pricing Display

Hi,

My site is also Australian. I know I have to display GST inclusive pricing for Australians (whereas pricing for overseas guests can be displayed as GST inclusive or exclusive (lower pricing)). Which of these methods is more correct?

1st Method: Turn on "Display Prices with Tax" so that the pricing is GST inclusive. When Australians login, prices remain the same. Overseas login, prices decrease (no GST). But my problem is overseas guests who are just browsing would think my pricing is too high as the prices only decrease when they register/log in.

OR

2nd Method: Turn off "Display Prices with Tax" so that the pricing is GST exclusive. Although the law states that people purchasing in Australia need to see the prices inclusive of GST, can't I show GST inclusive prices only when Australians login. In other words, this means Australians still see GST inclusive prices when they purchase, doesn't it? As for overseas customers, prices remain GST exclusive when they login. How can I do this? Does Zencart have the feature that auto detects browser's country and make the pricing GST exclusive for non-australians and GST inclusive for australians?

One more question... Australians need to see the prices inclusive of GST but the law also requires we send Australians invoice that shows pricing as GST exclusive plus GST as a separate component. The pricing for overseas invoice will be shown as GST exclusive without GST component. How can I do this?

Sorry for the complication. Any suggestion will be greatly apprecited.
    Using zencart v.1.3.9e
    Email: admin AT dealbyethan DOT com

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Australian GST – Product Pricing Display

Ok - The Australian Govt requires display of tax inclusive price. However there is no tax on items exported from Australia.

Suggested method.

Insert into includes\templates\template_default\templates\tpl_product_info_display.php
    a button (which sends them to the log in/registration page) or image below
    <!--eof Product Price block -->

and before

<!--bof free ship icon -->

that says something a long the line of

Non Australian residents - Log in/register for the tax free price.

Then use the tax zone files to do the rest.

It really is that simple

Plugin Contributions

red flag Re: Australian GST – Product Pricing Display

Thanks for your suggestion. There is one problem with your method: overseas guests who are just browsing will think my pricing is too high as the prices only decrease when they register/log in. This will decrease my sales. I preferred 2nd method. But how do I do that?
    Using zencart v.1.3.9e
    Email: admin AT dealbyethan DOT com

Plugin Contributions

This is interesting, one of my competitors (in Australia) is displaying prices without GST, and with NO note anywhere on the page about the prices being inclusive or exclusive. At first I thought they were just very cheap then I worked out that its not until you select a product and it goes in the cart that you see GST added, (on the cart page not the product page).
    Is this illegal and if so who do I dob them into

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by psr racing View Post
    This is interesting, one of my competitors (in Australia) is displaying prices without GST, and with NO note anywhere on the page about the prices being inclusive or exclusive. At first I thought they were just very cheap then I worked out that its not until you select a product and it goes in the cart that you see GST added, (on the cart page not the product page).
    Is this illegal and if so who do I dob them into
    Before offerring the answer the question is......... Is his website for consumers or resellers? If it is for resellers prices may be displayed as ex GST. If the site is targeting consumers of both groups (equally) it must show the inclusive price.

Complaints to the Australian Tax Office as a tax complaint and to your local Consumer Affairs department as a deceptive conduct complaint.
    Making sure we get the cost of freight back will drive us all mad at some stage.

Plugin Contributions

It is most definately a retail site, I'm ringing the authorities now

Plugin Contributions

Another option to the problem would be to enter all of the prices for the goods as net.
    Then add a box on your product pages which shows the GST inclusive price.
    So you have this:
    A great product
    Price excluding GST $100
    Price including GST $112.50 (sorry can't remember what the Aussie rate is)

I think that this will be a cleaner solution, because at least in NZ, you need to separately disclose the GST on the invoice, which would cause havoc with inclusive pricing.

Of course you could have already rejected this because the rules in Aussie say you aren't allowed to do it, be if so I am sure you will tell me.

Plugin Contributions

My experience with trying to complain about a seller not complying with the rules was that noone new who was responsible. Tax department said speak to consumer affairs, consumer affairs said speak to tax department!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12