Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Help: Invalid Master Category

master_categories_id are only used for limited features as many need to be specific to the categories_id ... $current_category_id or $cPath ...

master_categories_id is used for pricing for things like SaleMaker and speed on things like the admin listing of Products area ...

It is not used for everything or the usefulness of Categories and Linked Products etc. would be destroyed because the master_categories_id would take precidence over the current category ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

I can't pretend to understand the lookup function, but I can say it sounds like there was good reason for omitting master categories from lookup. So, without impairing existing Zen-Cart functionality, how might one work around the master categories issue when running SEO URLs?

It occurs to me that I could create a new category, move the linked products there, and disable the original category. This would create a linked category ID > master category ID, hence the master category would be recognized by default.

That's far from an ideal solution, so I'm interested in how to make SEO URLs work without master category problems with linked products.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    master_categories_id are only used for limited features as many need to be specific to the categories_id ... $current_category_id or $cPath ...

master_categories_id is used for pricing for things like SaleMaker and speed on things like the admin listing of Products area ...

It is not used for everything or the usefulness of Categories and Linked Products etc. would be destroyed because the master_categories_id would take precidence over the current category ...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    Actually in the case of looking up the product's category that is not true. The lookup is only done if the $cPath is not set... in such cases, IMO, and as others have voiced in the past, the returned category *should* be the master_categories_id, and that is what one would expect to be the case.

We're not talking about cases when the $cPath or current category are know. Only cases when it is not known, ie, not given in the URL as is the case when searching for an item.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dreamscape View Post
    Actually in the case of looking up the product's category that is not true. The lookup is only done if the $cPath is not set... in such cases, IMO, and as others have voiced in the past, the returned category *should* be the master_categories_id, and that is what one would expect to be the case.

We're not talking about cases when the $cPath or current category are know. Only cases when it is not known, ie, not given in the URL as is the case when searching for an item.
    Ajeh and I had a lengthy chat about this and have agreed that there is a problem that needs fixing here. Yes, the lookup *should* be changed to default to the master_categories_id if no cPath is supplied.

This change will not happen in "core" until the v1.4.x series. In investigating the code, there are a number of additional places which will be impacted by changing this behaviour and will require extensive testing to be sure other things are not broken. Things like coupon-restrictions, prev/next navigation, category-icon selection, not to mention sales issues, and so on.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

This is encouraging, to say the least.

If there's anything one might do to help get through that extensive testing, I'm all ears. Having the beta for the new SEO URLs running on another site, I'm anxious to see the integration of the mod perfected.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Ajeh and I had a lengthy chat about this and have agreed that there is a problem that needs fixing here. Yes, the lookup *should* be changed to default to the master_categories_id if no cPath is supplied.

This change will not happen in "core" until the v1.4.x series. In investigating the code, there are a number of additional places which will be impacted by changing this behaviour and will require extensive testing to be sure other things are not broken. Things like coupon-restrictions, prev/next navigation, category-icon selection, not to mention sales issues, and so on.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234