Plugin Contributions

Default Is it possible to upgrade from 1.2.6 to 1.3.6 directly?

I have a general question.
    Is it possible to upgrade from 1.2.6 to 1.3.6 directly, without at first upgrading to Releases in between?

Is document file Readme-Upgrade.html sufficient to upgrade from 1.2.6 to 1.3.6, or I need to prepare some other instructions?

Thanks, for your answer in advance.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Is it possible to upgrade from 1.2.6 to 1.3.6 directly?

You can upgrade the database direct yes, but your template will not work from version 1.2 to version 1.3 you will have to re-code your template if you use a custom template to work with version 1.3.x

HTH
    When the world gets in my face I say Have A Nice Day.
    * I DO Think and I HAVE BEEN Zenned - therefore, I AM * I donate - do you?
    Custom Templates and Zen Services CRS Designs, Inc.

Plugin Contributions

As TinaS said, you can't use the 1.2.x template with 1.3.6 (or 7). If you can, I suggest you set up a test version in a separate folder on your website so you don't interfere with your current cart and play around with getting a feel for changing the CSS and such. There is a learning curve, but I didn't find it as overwhelming as when I started with ZC.

Once you're comfortable with it, you should be able to move the 1.3.7 info to the live store and then run the DB upgrade. I'm close to that step, but not there yet since 1.3.7 was just issued.

Good luck and Happy Zenning!
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Thanks,
    TinaS and Afo for respond.

I will try my best.

Was the documentation available in ZIP file adequte, or you have to use other sourses?

Plugin Contributions

If you've done an upgrade before, it's pretty much the same, but changing the template is more complex with this upgrade. The documentation included in the download is very helpful.

I have the luxury of a test bed, so I installed the ZC 1.3.6 (I haven't done 1.3.7 yet) there and then fiddled with the template. It's not live yet. You can do something similar by creating a folder for the new version of ZC. If you use Firefox (browser), you can get the developer's add-on which allows you to change the CSS on the fly and see what happens before you save it to the real CSS and upload it. I found a lot of the changes easy to make. The new cart will have a slightly different look to it, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. :)

Keep us posted and if you run into a problem, don't be afraid to ask.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Are there any standard steps to be followed for upgrading from 1.2.6 to the latest version(1.3.6)?
    Tutorials on Zen Cart
    http://tutorials.zen-cart.com/index.php
    ---------------
    advanced.programmer at gmail dot com
    In love with Zen Cart!!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by superprg View Post
    Are there any standard steps to be followed for upgrading from 1.2.6 to the latest version(1.3.6)?
    The steps are included in the documents in the doc folder included with the 1.3.7 download.

Make certain you back up your database. When that's done, make certain you back up your database.

If you don't have a current copy of your cart (the ZC files) locally, make a back up of that. If you use an FTP client, just download everything to your hard drive if you can.

If you can create a separate directory for the new version of ZC, do so and use it to test the changes. Don't forget the templates have changed. If you can't create a test environment, set your store status to maintenance and upgrade (not recommended).

I upgraded the cart I did for a friend from 1.2.7 to 1.3.7 and here's what I did. I realize not everyone will be able to do it this way, but the information might help someone else.

I created a test environment on a domain I own and installed 1.3.7 there. I used a backup of the live database to populate the new database (using the mysql tools from my webmaster panel). I tinkered with the template using the template_default files as a starting point until I was "happy" with the result (still tinkering). I downloaded that version of the cart to my hard drive and edited various files, so they'd have the correct information for the real domain. I took the live card down for maintenance and uploaded ALL the new files to it. I ran the ZC_install only to upgrade the DB - the tinkering I'd already done had upgraded the ZC version. I may have had to tweak a couple of things when I was done, but overall, it was a pretty painless upgrade.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Having just done this type of upgrade for a Client, you definitely need a "workin area" or test bed. Doing an upgrade will take time to incorporate you previous Theme into the new version. Depending on complexity, you should allow at least 10 - 20 of work time.

After that has been you'll need to become familiar with the new features in the Admin section and tweak things accordingly. Only then would you install any Modules.

Plugin Contributions

And what if there are mods installed?
    Tutorials on Zen Cart
    http://tutorials.zen-cart.com/index.php
    ---------------
    advanced.programmer at gmail dot com
    In love with Zen Cart!!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by superprg View Post
    And what if there are mods installed?
    You'll have to redo the mods once the upgrade is complete. I had to redo the admin levels mod (since there's a new version) and the packing slip with photos (which is a very old mod, but still works).
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey