Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Could not receive Password Forgotten Email

FIXED

Ok, from a posting by Bosh, 18th of November 2008 ....

I grabbed the new version of phpMailer and followed what Bosh did - and it now works.
    The phpmailer class that comes with the distribution is ANCIENT.

Firstly - check if your system is using php4 or 5. If using 5, install the new bits. Piece of cake - couldn't be easier.
    If you are using php4, don't know. There is a new mailer for php4 on the same sourceforge site anyw2ay. OWuldn't hurt to upgrade.

Thanks Bosh. you're a legend.

OK peeps,

I''ll tell you I've found out so far and what I've done about it. I'm not saying
    the issue has gone away yet but now Nochex receives whats being sent, whatever
    that is because is complains with a wrong "email address" or "Merchant ID". But
    that should be fixable.

Fistly, I examined the code /include/classes/class.phpmailer.php. The first thing
    that struck me was - it's old and it really shouldn't be sitting ontop of PHP 5.x.x.
    Your host is using PHP 5.x.x aren't they, perhaps you should move.

Anyway I went here; phpmailer.codeworxtech.com/index.php
    and downloaded PHPMailer for PHP5/6 and unzipped/tar'd them into a tempory directory.

Secondly, after doing a few eyeball checks (I'm not that cavalier), I did
    this ...
    1. replaced - /include/classes/class.phpmailer.php
    2. replaced - /include/classes/class.smtp.php
    3. added - /include/classes/class.pop3.php

also in /include/classes/support/ I replaced all the language files provided
    in the download. Although I only needed the English one, I like to be consistant.

Now, as I said, more testing is required on the PHP side before I'm satisfied and
    it's unlikely I'll be using SMPT so I won't be testing that. Perhaps someone
    else who requires SMPT would undertake that and provide some feedback for others
    who might want to use it

As for myself, when I'm satisfied with my testing I'll tell you here whether
    its broken anywhere or that its all OK.

hope this helps - if I find any problems I'll see if I can fix them and post the solution. Hopefully this one is fixed.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by rachalmers View Post
    and I see that in the osCommerce forums, the same problems are being talked about.
    I'm suspecting that it's a problem in the zen mail handling interface.
    The fact that some work and some don't is probably a factor of poorly configured host/server mail handlers that let anything through, rather than correctly configured zen installations.

as I said, any number of other packages on my system work fine. Zen doesn't.

When I find a solution to this, I'll post it for all to see.
    Just out of curiosity, what version of PHP are you using?

Is it possible that this problem only affects those using PHP5.3 (which is also known to cause several other problems?).

I'm, still clutching at straws here because although this may explain the problem using the PHP mailer it wouldn't/shouldn't affect things when using sendmail ... perhaps.

On the other hand, if the PHP mailer works with moodle then I can't see why it wouldn't work with zencart.

Even though this issue doesn't currently affect me or any of the sites I've worked on it is certainly something I have a high interest in, because whatever the cause I'm sure I'm going to come across the same problems at some stage in the furture... it would be nice to be prepared for it

I only wish I could offer more help or insights.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

FIXED

Wow! What timing. You posted this at *exactly* the same time I posed my query suggesting that it may possibly be a php version issue.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what version of PHP are you using?

Is it possible that this problem only affects those using PHP5.3 (which is also known to cause several other problems?).

I'm, still clutching at straws here because although this may explain the problem using the PHP mailer it wouldn't/shouldn't affect things when using sendmail ... perhaps.

On the other hand, if the PHP mailer works with moodle then I can't see why it wouldn't work with zencart.

Even though this issue doesn't currently affect me or any of the sites I've worked on it is certainly something I have a high interest in, because whatever the cause I'm sure I'm going to come across the same problems at some stage in the furture... it would be nice to be prepared for it

I only wish I could offer more help or insights.

Cheers
    Rod

Hi Rod,
    I appear to have fixed it on my system - see other post . But in answer to your question, my host is using PHP.5.00

So I installed the updated phpmail class and language from thier sourceforge download. See Bosh's post.

I had the option on my host provider to run php4 or 5, and as most of the stuff coming out now, including upgrades is aimed at 5, I switched to 5. Unfortunatly the zen distrib - hasn't made the move yet.
    Maybe someone could add something in the install to check for 4 or 5.?

thanks for your help and input Rod. Much appreciated.

Plugin Contributions

Hi Rod,
    I appear to have fixed it on my system - see other post . But in answer to your question, my host is using PHP.5.00

So I installed the updated phpmail class and language from thier sourceforge download. See Bosh's post.

I had the option on my host provider to run php4 or 5, and as most of the stuff coming out now, including upgrades is aimed at 5, I switched to 5. Unfortunatly the zen distrib - hasn't made the move yet.
    Maybe someone could add something in the install to check for 4 or 5.?

thanks for your help and input Rod. Much appreciated.
    In my experience the upgrade between V4.x and V5 had been pretty much problem free ... The upgrade from V5.2 to V5.3 being the bigger cause of problems. (or perhaps this particular upgrade simply made existing problems more evident?)

The good news though is that your perseverance has identified the cause and the solution (even though it was originally identified over a year ago). It is/was still a 'new' problem for me, and obviously many others, so well done.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

This did not resolve my problem as I had hoped. I uploaded class.phpmailer.php and language files and the only result was a shorter error message.

Why are we losing the admin password whenever this happens. Across all of my sites now, at the first instance of attempted mail transport, from wherever, the admin password becomes instantly unusable.

This is bad news as I am losing customers.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by pixelpadre View Post
    This did not resolve my problem as I had hoped. I uploaded class.phpmailer.php and language files and the only result was a shorter error message.

Why are we losing the admin password whenever this happens. Across all of my sites now, at the first instance of attempted mail transport, from wherever, the admin password becomes instantly unusable.

This is bad news as I am losing customers.

A few ideas to try...
    . Have you run phpinfo.php to see exactly what your server is telling you about the installation?
    . If you have installed the correct and latest phpmailer, then you have to be running V5 or greater. UNLESS you actually installed the older phpmailer used for v4.

I don't recall if I had to make any specific changes, but it may be worth re-reading the phpmailer ReadMe file.

You have probably tried this, but are you able to use a differnt mailing system, like SMTP maybe?

Sorry I'm not much more help, but as soon as I upgraded my mailer, and switched the server config to PHP5, my problems went away.
    The hosting company unhelpfully switched it back to V4, which took a while to discover - but I shouted at them and put it back to V5. Now it's ok.
    I could not have V4 and V5 activated at the same time. It defaults to V4. So if you ahve that option, disable V4, and just use V5

Plugin Contributions

I swtiched php transport to smtpauth and had a problem

[Tue Apr 27 11:39:40 2010] [error] [client 24.48.131.117] PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined method SMTP::getError() in /hsphere/local/home/xxxyyy/mydomain.com/private_#####/includes/classes/class.phpmailer.php on line 1910, referer: 'http://mydomain/private_####/admin/mail.php?action=preview

Turns out I didnt upload the other two files smtp and pop as suggested above. After uplaod those two, ironically I can use smtpauth but still no joy with PHP.

Plugin Contributions

Having the same problem. add my email and get - A new password has been sent to your email address. I do not get anything. http://www.chessvideo.com
    Did all the options in this forum but no success for me. Host with godaddy(please dont start I know) I did call them and they said...they see the email but do not know were it is going and thats all they tell me. (no help) E-Mail Transport Method is set to PHP. Did try the rest and no luck. If someone could help me with this....Thank You been up for days and tried everything I read. Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by romy View Post
    Having the same problem. add my email and get - A new password has been sent to your email address. I do not get anything. http://www.chessvideo.com
    Did all the options in this forum but no success for me. Host with godaddy(please dont start I know) I did call them and they said...they see the email but do not know were it is going and thats all they tell me. (no help) E-Mail Transport Method is set to PHP. Did try the rest and no luck. If someone could help me with this....Thank You been up for days and tried everything I read. Thanks
    Hello romy,Did you fix this issue?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast