Plugin Contributions

Default Paypal Express - but for 'verified paypal' accounts only - possible?

Is it possible to limit paypal express to just 'paypal verified' accounts?

There used to be an option in the paypal profile tool where you could specifically check the verified only option, but the profile tool has changed. Now, it only says:

"Block payments from U.S. users who do not provide a Confirmed Address:
    Yes
    No
    Ask Me"

but I'm not sure if this relates to PP Express.

Also, is there anyway to include international verified accounts in the limitation? I'm not sure why only "U.S. users" are the only mentioned above.

Many thanks :-)
    Last edited by DogTags; 5 Jan 2007 at 04:53 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Paypal Express - but for 'verified paypal' accounts only - possible?

You will want to ask PayPal for sure, but I don't believe you can restrict them to verified users only- Quick checkout with NO account is the reason for the Express Checkout.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Paypal Express - but for 'verified paypal' accounts only - possible?

There is nothing in the code to prevent this, and nothing in the PayPal API specifications to pass a parameter TO PayPal telling them how to handle "this" transaction.
    As you said, there appears to be no option within the PayPal profile settings to allow this.

There is a way to code for it by reading the customer's PAYERSTATUS value and if it doesn't say "Verified", act accordingly (ie: display an error alert banner and deselect the PayPal payment option even though they had already chosen it).

However, I don't see clearly "why" you would want to enforce such a restriction. A "confirmed" shipping address (Admin switch in PayPal Express Checkout module in Zen Cart) would likely give you the fraud prevention you need for peace of mind when shipping goods ... wouldn't it?

I haven't checked to see if PayPal offers "confirmed address" services to PayPal accounts outside North America. It's certainly available to more than U.S. only.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks, Dr. :-)

It seems that the 'confirmed address' relates only to U.S. addresses

I wrote to Paypal about this, hopefully will hear something soon

(I 'think' I remember that PP used to have a setting awhile ago to restrict to only those with 'verified accounts' regardless of country.)

Plugin Contributions

Did you ever get an answer to this one from Paypal??

If I can't restrict payments of certain items I have to enable the other Paypal module as well and put a note above the Paypal Express logo Stating:

"Buyers of 'whatever item' must use another payment option."
    "Please click "Go To Checkout" for more options."

AND Then if they do buy the item anyway and disregard my notice.. I will have to just simply refuse the order and refund there PP account.
    Last edited by rich_li_ny; 22 Oct 2007 at 05:59 PM.