Plugin Contributions

Default How have people liked using Authorizenet?

We haven't set up our payment module yet. I wanted to get a sense out there if people recommend authorizenet. How does it exactly work?

Do they process the credit cards for you or do they just provide you with the number and you have to use a terminal to process the credit cards?

Can you set it up where it won't charge the credit card until delivery?

How does it deal with refunds- is there a service fee?

I heard you can't use the gift certicate system with authorizenet- is this correct?

Thanks so much for the help!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How have people liked using Authorizenet?

I've been using Authorize.net for a couple of sites and it's been trouble free. I don't actually manage the Authorize.net terminal for these sites, but I'll do my best to answer your questions.

I have the module setup to authorize cards only--this means that at the end of the day, the store owner logs into Authorize.net and then processes the orders.

I suppose that if you didn't want to charge until delivery, you could ship your orders out then process the transactions once delivery is confirmed.

I think most gateways have a charge back fee in place.

On two of my ZC sites, there are GCs for sale, but we've set them up as products--we're not actually using ZCs GC feature. I can't recall why we did that now, but there are no problems selling GCs with Authorize.net when setup this way.

I hope this helps narrow down your options for a payment gateway!

fletch Guest

Quote Originally Posted by catangirl View Post
    We haven't set up our payment module yet. I wanted to get a sense out there if people recommend authorizenet. How does it exactly work?

Do they process the credit cards for you or do they just provide you with the number and you have to use a terminal to process the credit cards?

Can you set it up where it won't charge the credit card until delivery?

How does it deal with refunds- is there a service fee?

I heard you can't use the gift certicate system with authorizenet- is this correct?

Thanks so much for the help!

Authorize.net is a payment gateway, which means that they are in the middle between your Shopping Cart Software (like zencart) and your Merchant Account Provider.

If you don't already have a Merchant Account Provider and you call Authorize.net they will refer you to one. However, be careful because it might not be the best deal.

To answer your question, Auth.net actually handles the whole transaction for you. In fact, they WON'T even give you the card number (much tighter security this way). Basically, you send the transaction to Auth.net and then it shows up in your bank account a few days later via a deposit from your Merchant Account Provider.

To answer your other question, the chargeback fee is decided upon by your Merchant Account Provider, not by your gateway.
    Last edited by Kim; 8 Feb 2007 at 07:15 PM.

Plugin Contributions

hi... i am currently authorize.net also and im very happy w/ it... but i have no way of showing my customers that i deal w/ authorize.net.

i have noticed seals on footers and also an authorize.net sidebox..

where can i obtain one so i can insure consumer confidence?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dvenzo View Post
    hi... i am currently authorize.net also and im very happy w/ it... but i have no way of showing my customers that i deal w/ authorize.net.

i have noticed seals on footers and also an authorize.net sidebox..

where can i obtain one so i can insure consumer confidence?
    You can get a snippet of html code that displays the seal by signing in to Authorize.net. On the upper right corner of the first page there is a link to more information. They call it a Verified Merchant seal.

Plugin Contributions

I have a newbie question. What's the difference between authorize.net and authorize.net AIM? Thanks

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

AIM keeps customers on your site.
    SIM sends them to authorize.net's site for payment, and then back to yours again.

The differences are explained here:
    http://developer.authorize.net/guides/

I recommend AIM over SIM, as it's more secure and more professional in appearance.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.