Plugin Contributions

Default [Done v1.3.8] Bug? Not saving in other than default languages

Sorry to cross-post this but since I was studying my problem alone without answeres in another thread I ended up questioning if this is a bug in the system:

- if I go alive with one default language and have some categories and products for it, I can't add later on new languages for those categories and products,
    - if I set up all the languages at once for all the categories and products I want, I can create all nicely,
    - if I have had only one language before and I add new categories at the same time having more languages, I can have only those new categories in all desired languages (so not the old ones that used to have names and descriptions only in one language).

Of course I can try to edit a category name and put other languages in those flags there are but the system simply doesn't save the info. For the completely new categories it does.

Here's the thread where I am discussing with myself about the matter:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showth...979#post320979

Elli
    I may be blond but at least I found Zen.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Bug? Not saving in other than default languages

I confirm the same problem (v1.3.6).

- Language(s) set/created
    - Categories created
    - Text for each respective language populated
    - All good

then later...
    - More languages added
    - Existing Categories do not accomodate the new languages (text)
    - NEW categories handle full set of languages fine
    (in this case, older categories don't update the database table)

This affects Products in the same manner. (and meta tag data)

Plugin Contributions

Do check that post listed ...

DrByte does have a good break down of a situation you can put yourself into on multiple languages ...

Make sure that is not the issue you are encountering ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Ajeh.

Briefly, I read DrBytes post (a few times to make sure I understood properly)

In my case the default language was constant and always in place along with a second language. Categories, Products, Tags all in place and fine. Subsequently, a 3rd language was added. Now existing Categories, Products, Tags had blanks for the new language (nothing copied from default) AND nothing could be manually entered and saved...for existing items. New items didn't exhibit the problem.

My hunch is that adding languages should not require complete overhauls of Categories, Products, Tags texts - or am I wrong? My understanding from DrByte is that as a new language is added, Categories, Products, Tags will automatically populate the new language with copied data from the default language. The latter did not happen. Perhaps there is something I'm missing in the equation?

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Example, using a fresh install of a new store:
    1. English is the only built-in language. Thus, it is the 'current' language.
    2. Add Spanish. Now all products+categories have both english and spanish names, with the spanish being a copy from the English names.
    3. If you now go and "delete" the "english" language option, it will remove it, along with all the english descriptions related to the english language fields in the database.
    4. If you now go and add another language, it will copy all the descriptions to that new language, using your "current" language as the source. But, since you just deleted "english" and all your "english" descriptions are gone, it copies blanks to the new language's descriptions/names.

So, to recover.
    a. In Admin, from the Language pulldown, choose the language for which you "do" have category/product descriptions
    b. now go and delete all the other "empty" languages
    c. re-add the new languages, which will copy from your currently-active language names/descriptions.