Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Quick question before upgrading

Quote Originally Posted by icklebits View Post
    When I had my original cart in a "cart" folder I had to copy each and every file over to my main directory individually it took ages. There must be an easier way to do that?
    I'm not sure what you mean by that statement. ZC is designed to build a custom template without changing files that will be overwritten when upgrading. If you copied "each and every file to my main directory", you may not have followed the custom template outline which will cause problems when you upgrade. All your work will be overwritten. The list in my previous post is what I've found to be the basic files you need and where you need to create them.

For example, if you need to change something in english.php the original file is located in includes\languages\english\english.php. You create a folder in includes\languages\ and call it whatever you want (YOUR_TEMPLATE in my example) and then copy english.php into it, so you end up with includes\languages\YOUR_TEMPLATE\english.php and make your changes in the copy, not the original. When you upload to your website, the YOUR_TEMPLATE directories you created will be uploaded with the rest of ZC. No copying/uploading individual files (unless you need to). Because the ZC upgrade won't include directories called YOUR_TEMPLATE, your work won't be overwritten.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Thank you very very much.! That makes a lot more sense. I wil have a go later on today once I've had my breakfast!!!!

You are right, I probably will have an "aha!" moment, its just getting started really.

Right, fingers crossed that I will be leaving a happy post by the end of the day!

Plugin Contributions

Darn, I replied to your previous stepby step post and then saw the last one.

I obviously got the instructions wrong back when I started the whole thing months ago.

Think I will just leave it as it is. I'm worried about losing orders and all the products I've put in and if you think I've done it wrong I won't bother taking the risk.

Oh I felt so positive for a minute or two there!

Never mind, thanks for your time anyway.

<seriously deflated>

Plugin Contributions

No reason you can't still do the file compare and merge! If you edited core files, you can easily correct that by dropping the proper files into template folders, then overwrite the core with the new version. Compare core to your template,a nd away you go!

Seriously, don't bum out. Do the steps I gave you anyway; it won't be as bad once you do. Remember, it's offline, and won't hurt a thing just to try.
    Frank Koehl
    "Cleverly Disguised as a Responsible Adult"

frankkoehl.com

Plugin Contributions

also your orders, customers and products are stored in the database, so messing around with getting your template overrides correct won't hurt that stuff.
    Mike
    GeekHost - Zen Cart Certified & PCI Compliant Hosting
    The Zen Cart Forum...Better than a monitor covered with post-it notes!

Plugin Contributions

Aw bless. I take it you haven't seen my other thread in this section where I completely and utterly lost my website...LOL

I've decided after that event of today to not bother upgrading it. Maybe I'llhave another go tomorrow....

I still really appreciate your advice and will definitely follow it. I just cant' do anymore today. 7 hours of trying to upgrade has done my head in...and half the poor zenners that tried to help me too probably!

Will keep this thread updated though even if only to help future readers.

Plugin Contributions

Forgot to say that I did get it back with a serious amount of help from other zenners!

Thought I'd best add that bit incase another newbie was reading it and panicked...LOL

I'm off to get chocolate...much deserved and needed!

Plugin Contributions

you might be better off contracting one of the experts to handle this upgrade, and actually get your files back into the right places,

then get them to explain HOW to make your modifications in the future.
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

How do I do that?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by icklebits View Post
    How do I do that?
    From your other thread, I think you're ok now. If you want to pay someone to help you, post a request in "Commercial Help Wanted" explaining the situation. Interested people will contact you via PM.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12