Thread: copying a store

Plugin Contributions

Default copying a store

Is it possible to have mulitple stores for different clients using the same templete that's already live?

For example, can I have one store for mydomainname.com/xyzliquor and another store for mydomainname.com/abctrucking and yet another store for mydomainname.com/qrsshoecompany

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: copying a store

You can have as many stores as you like using different directories and the same template files (ZC files). Your problem will be that if you use a common database, then each site will show the same products and ZC features set from the admin. If you use separate databases (better idea) then each site will remain completely unique. Except of course that they will look the same because you use the same template.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for your help!

How do I set up the different stores and use separate databases? Is that something that a non computer guy can get through or is it difficult to understand or comminicate?

Plugin Contributions

The number of databases allowed is determined by your host, and usually can be setup via your host provided control panel admin. If only one database is allowed, you can share stores via the one database AND keep them somewhat separated by using table prefixes. Table prefixes can be specified during the ZC install process.

Ex. abc_; def_; ghi_; and so on. Use whatever naming convention works for you.

The downside of sharing in this manner is that your clients will all have access to the same database. In a shared environment, this could be a security issue and there could also be performance issues. Best is still to use separate unique databases for each unique store.

As for the installs, just create a directory space for each installation then follow the instructions for installing Zen Cart. You might be able to create subdomains instead. That may work better for you.

Plugin Contributions

You should be able to create separate databases from your webmaster panel. It has nothing to do directly with ZC.

The answer to your template question is yes. What you'd need to do is install ZC in each subdomain/directory and point each installation to the correct database. Theoretically, your custom template files could be set up on a test site (or in just one of the subdomains), downloaded to your local drive and then uploaded to the next subdomain. In that case, you'd have to modify the config files in admin and includes to point to the correct database.

You may need to manually change some settings in the admin for each separate installation, but even that could be backed up and uploaded for the subsequent subdomain before customer and product data is added.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey